Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 w/ disc brakes and I am wondering how to remove the inner and outer bearing races that are stuck in the hub.
I have a seal puller and that worked for the rear grease seal, but
the races are stuck good.

Also, what is the best way to install them? do I need a special tool?

Suggestions ?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I knock them out with a flat end punch, there maybe a slot underneath them to get the full punch on them.

Yes they make a driver to reinstall them but again I just use the punch, but you must be very carefull doing it that way. Also if you put the new races in the freezer for a few hours before you install them it will make it easier. mm

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey, thanks for the tips Mark (x2)

When installing the new race, do I tap it in by itself, or with the bearing?

Another question while you are listening, Both Caliper bolts have
a bunch of holes drilled through the bolt head. Is this for "saftey wire" ?
I have heard of saftey wire, but have never seen it installed. If so, do I need to find some small wire and loop it between both bolt heads?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
No way do you use the bearing to drive in the race, I use the punch on the outer edge of the race, DO NOT let the punch hit the face of the race where the bearing rides. Marks idea of using the old race is ok too.

I never saftey wired a caliper bolt, but I suppose it cant hurt.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am not patient enough to gently tap the race in with a punch. I would wreck the new race for sure.
I usually flip the old race over and use it to pound the new one in. Goes in nice and straight.

I have never seen caliper bolts safety wired.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts