Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out if my engine is original to my car. It was rebuilt 10 tears ago. Can't seem to find a thread to help me out.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
What engine does your car have? Is there an engine tag held on by one of the intake manifold bolts? If not, what is the casting number and date code on the block and intake manifold and what is the build date to your car (a Marti report will have the actual build date if you have one)? Post what you find. Edit: You might check on the back side of the block on the drivers side below the head or intake manifold for a VIN. Thanks John

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
on the front near the power steering pump on the block it is 1E18C and on the intake there is a 7E17 and C60E-9425-A K. Does that help? Engine is a 289 Vin says it should be a 4V engine. but it only has a 2V carb and intake. Buld date from Marti Report says July 10, 1967

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Since your engine has a 2V intake manifold and you say it should have a 4V, that isn't the correct one. The date code on the intake breaks down for year, month & day (7-1967, E-Month of May & 17-17th day). Now the date code of 1E18 (not sure what the C is) breaks down for 1-Year (could the 1 be a 7?) E-Month of May & 18-18th day (this could be the date the engine was assembled or inspected). Again, what is the casting number on the block, the starter will have to be removed and also the date the block was cast will be above the casting number. Thanks John

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Asoon as I get a chance I'll pull the starter and see what is there. As for the on the block yes it should have been a 7 typo on my part.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I had to pull the starter to do the oil pan and here is the info I got from above the starter.

First question. I have the starter down and looking at the engine number there. It is "C5AE-6015E" and "7E2" above that. Car Marti Report says build date is 07/10/67 it is an ZR7. How can I tell if this is the original engine for the car. Marti Report and serial number say it should be a 4V engine.

second question. I have the Carb off and on the driver side of the intake there is an area under the carb gasket under the spacer that is 3/4 the way full of oil. It is covered by the carb intake gasket. Is this normal and where did the oil come from?

Any help out there would be appreciated.

Bryan

·
Registered
945 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hey red, why dont you post some pics of the oil problem.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Bryan, see my reply to your thread :"2 questions. Engine decoding & oil under carb". John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts