Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was at the shop for 1 week gettting the front end rebuilt. I noticed that the tranny pan was leaking and asked the shop to change the fluid/put a new filter. When I picked it up this weeked, i noticed that the gears were shifting diffrently. 1-2 shifts at 30-35mph and 2-3 at 55-60mph. Prior to that the tranny was shifting properly. 1-2 at about 12-15 and 2-3 at about 30-35. Not sure what the issue is here. I replaced the modulator and have vacuum in the the lines and still the same issue. The gears shift and downshift properly and i can manually shift to 2nd gear. Any thoughts?

I dont have a kickdown rod connected, so I dont see this as an issue.

390/C6 automatic

Thx
Trini

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Oh-oh, he said "trany".

·
Registered
349 Posts
There was a thread awhile back concerning this. Pull off the vacuum hose at the modulator, look for an adjuster screw in the middle of the nipple on the modulator. As to which way to turn the screw to lower your shift points? I just don't remember, maybe someone else will chime in...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah I know.....Craig u out there still...?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Same reply as other thread: Did they use type F fluid?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes Type F fluid was used. The shop owner is now telling me tha the kickdown valve switch probobly got moved somehow. The valve completly rotates clockwise but not couter clockwise and he says this is the issue and somehow the tranny thinks its at full throttle. Did this make sense to anyone?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I got burned on this one. Coast me a rebuild on a rebuilt trany. and 3 extra days vacation in cheyann wo. the kick lever wasn't hooked up at all causing it to have full pressue all the time,thus squishing the clutches and the internals, they said the kickdown leaver acts as a pressure control valve in different speeds controling the pressure on the clutches, go slower less pressure, go faster more pressure, wrong pressure broke trans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts