Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I started up the ’70 with newly installed T5 for the first time. At idle with the clutch out, I sometimes hear a chattering sound from the bellhousing. When I push in the clutch, it gets louder. It almost sounds as if the flywheel is somehow touching the blockplate. When I let the clutch out, it is still loud. Turn the car off, turn it back on, and the chattering is relatively quiet again.

I have not yet tried to drive the car on the road, just merely moved it 20 feet forward and reverse in my driveway. My setup is a Z-Spec T5 with billet flywheel and 5.0 blockplate / bellhousing, with hydraulic clutch. I have a late model pressure plate and clutch. The blockplate was flat when installed and mounted flush against the engine. I did grease the shaft for the throw-out bearing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I have never tore down a T-5, But haveing done several clutches what you describe sure sounds to me like something did not mate up correctly. are you useing the manual linkages or the hydro's?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Also did you check the starter to make sure it was not dragging?
They did not make a T-5 that had a two piece input shaft, like a auto did they? I asked a couple of my friends here who were bewildered and asked when you moved the car did you have good power, did everything engage good?
shane

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you installed a used block plate and it was bent, it could be dragging on the backside of the flywheel. By moving the clutch in and out maybe pushing the flywheel some to make the noise louder. Double check the plate.

-Bruce

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
jimk351c said:
What do you mean by the starter dragging?

Thanks [/B]
I ment to say to check and make sure the starter gear clears the flywheel all the way. I had this happen to me once, it will make a grinding chattering noise+ tear up the flywheel and gear.
Good luck and let us know, I want the TKO for my 429, and would like to know what you like/dislike about yours after you get to play with it awhile.
shane:D

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the chattering from the bellhousing has been
solved. It turns out I had too much pressure on the
clutch fork, with the hydraulic slave cylinder. I took
some of the pressure off, but left enough to still
engage the clutch. No more chatter, at idle, or with
the clutch pushed in.

Now it is time to tighten up the leaking MC and fix
the header leak from the header touching the bellhousing....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts