Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't received any response from the bodywork section of the forum so I'm posting this again for the community in the hopes that I'll get some desperately-needed feedback more quickly (since this part of the forums seems to be more widely viewed than the others)! I REALLY need to get moving on this part of my project so I can get the wiring and dash back in and get the car to my upholstery guy on schedule!

My car: '73 XR7 Coupe, 351C-4V, C6, original DSO Black/Black car! Just got it back from paint/body on Friday. The interior, doors and trunk are completely gutted and all surfaces were cleaned of all surface rust, dirt and debris prior to being coated with POR-15 for protection from future rust formation.

I'm looking for experienced feedback/recommendations from those who've done it! :1zhelp:

My questions:
1. What vendor(s) / product(s) did you use?
2. What products did you install on specific areas (roof, floor, firewall, trunk floor, wheel-wells)?
3. What is the best possible thermal/acoustic solution for the firewall/cowl specifically?
4. Which products met/exceeded your expectations? Which didn't?
5. What would you have done differently?
6. How thick a layer of product(s) can I install on the floorpan without affecting how the new carpet lays; and, what kind of carpet do you recommend (regular or mass-backed)?
7. Have you experienced any failures over a period of time (loss of adhesion, product coming off/loose)?

I've researched info from SoundDeadenerShowdown.com, Dynamat.com, SecondSkinAudio.com and QuietRide.com and find myself overwhelmed by the amount of information and differing opinions/recommendations presented. :confused: (I have however, determined that I'm definitely going to use butyl-based CLD products I'm just not sure where to go from there???

All recommendations/guidance is greatly appreciated!!!

Regards to all!

(Some pics of my ride)

DSCN1203.jpg
DSCN1207.jpg DSCN1209.jpg DSCN1205.jpg

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Just helped a friend install the dynamat on this firebird about a month ago. Went in real nice and really help quiet down the interior. Also help insulate the floors from the headers he installed. I would stay with something thinner then a 1/4" or less. I think if you get thicker then that it will really effect the way the carpet will lay down especially if you are going to install the insulation pad.
Check with WCCC for the best carpet, and Don also has the stock under layment if you want to go that route.
http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/carpet.html

Da bird...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180587770768&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

·
Registered
386 Posts
I used RAAMmat BXt and liked the results. So far I only put it in the trunk, backseat floor area and behind the backseat. When I replace the carpet I'll use it to do the rest of the car. It was easy to work with so you can cut pieces in whatever shape you need and was sticky enough that I don't think it'll ever come off. I looked around and this seemed to get a lot of positive feedback. Since I haven't done under the carpet yet, I don't know how thick you can go with it without affecting the fit. Recently it seems like every car/truck show has been using Lizardskin. I would like to try it, but I don't have many places left to insulate. Maybe someone here has tried it with an impartial opinion, since you never know if the shows are using it because it's a new sponsor.

Ben

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
we used dynamat on the floors with juliano foil backed closed cell foam on top of that --becareful on the rockers--you can put too much there and the sill mouldings wont fit
headliner got the foil faced bubble pack--double in the sail panels
trunk floor got more dynamat , while the trunk sides got a perforated black vinyl coated self adhesive 3/4 sound deadner
make sure you do the panel behind the trunk and the package tray also
i tried to use closed cell products when evr i could
you will enjoy all your efforts
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
And if you act quickly, eDead80 (which I brought to the forums attention) is on sale for $1.50 per square foot until 11/26. Coupon code eDead80Nov.

Otherwise IMO, too many questions in one post. Ask fewer and more specific so that people will not think "too much to answer" and not post.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks to all who have replied!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts