Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Help. Problems with my cougar I can't figure out

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Don Rush 
#1 ·
Hi my name is Katrina. I have a 99 mercury cougar. It's a v6 5-speed car. It has never really given me a problem. It has 146 thousand miles on it and does not leak or smoke anything. I'm new to the site I don't know if anyone can help me. My car started with the problem of the lights flickering and in literally a few months of that the alternator which was custom built by my dad was changed to a brand new one and I even changed the belt as my dad told me its best to change to a new belt with new parts. The battery light started flickering a few weeks later. On a whim just stopped at auto zone and everything checked out as running ok and holding a charge fine. It stayed like that for a week after it started. Today the battery light started to stay on while driving. I had everything checked again and everything checked out ok again. I stopped the car to run in for groceries for dinner and when I came out to start the car it was dead. Would turn over but then started clicking as if the alternator were dead. I was close to home so I walked home and later had my boyfriend take me to jump the car thinking it would charge enough to get me a few blocks to home. Well when we arrived the car started right up without jumping it and I got home. But in the driveway seemed to just slowly deteriorate and die. I tried to start it after that and it wouldn't even do a thing. It wouldn't click, turn over, no lights came on, the door didn't ding when opened. It was lifeless. I did notice the radio shutting on and off today which to me was a sign in the past of an alternator dying. But I just got a brand new one.... I was told by a ford me habit that the voltage regulator in these cars often went bad.... I've never dealt with one before. Any ideas on my car? Or the problem??? Any advice would be appreciated. I tried to tinker with her some but my brother has the book on her as he helped me work on her last.

See less See more
#2 ·
This site is not really for the new gen cougars....but I have had alternators go bad fairly quickly out of the box before......take the thing off and have it tested at your local parts store again. I am pretty sure the late model cars have the regulator built into them so it may be not regulating right.....? just a road I have been down at least - good luck

#3 · (Edited)
...I was told by a ford me habit that the voltage regulator in these cars often went bad...
Hi Katrina. you might try www.newcougar.org which is dedicated to the newer Cougar.

I must admit though, I am very intrigued and wondering about the "ford me habit"... :buck:

#5 ·
Always, the first thing to do in a situation like this is to remove and thoroughly clean the battery cable terminals and posts. Doesn't cost anything, and often will cure a hard/no start problem.
If that doesn't work, it's not at all out of the question that the replacement alternator has failed. But in this instance I suspect the battery. Heat is a battery killer, and unless you're in Alaska or Maine or something, its probably hot where you are. The bad alternator/regulator situation could already have stressed it, and the recent high temps were the final blow. Anyway, let us know what you find, as it could help someone else down the road.

#6 ·
I always have the store test an alternator before I purchase it.

#7 ·
I could have used that bit of advice about 6 months ago!! LOL - Now that you mention that it's good for 2 reasons - first, it's a sanity check that they tested your "bad" one right in the first place, second you don't get a hokey one out of the box, that you then have to re-install in the worst possible location they could think of to put the damn thing!...<SIGH> At least that's the case with a 95 Hyundai! Have them test you battery while your at it - they ain't cheap nowadays, so be sure it's bad. (See my batttery price thread I think those were real tears......) ;>)

#8 ·
I have a 2000 cougar 2.5 V6. The flickering lights started for me after changing the alternator. Dash lights for battery, oil, etc started to flicker sporadically also. After much research I found that the 3 prong plug to the alternator was notorious for becoming loose and causing a problem with good contact. I replaced the 3 prong plug (got one from the ford dealer for $35 after not being able to get the right one from any parts house). Problem was corrected and have had no problems. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.