Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 GT is in the shop getting new power steering components. The shop just informed me that the brand new MU pressure hose from the pump is leaking at the connection with the nut and they think it's because the flange is smaller than the original. Has anyone seen this before? At this point, the car may not make it to Carlisle unless we come up with a solution, so any and all suggestions are welcome.

:1zhelp:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Bill,

I don't suppose there is enough room to slide the nut back to re-flare the end? That's what I would do, but on most hoses there is a bend not far from the nut which would prevent doing that. Have an old one in good shape?

Can a small block one be made to work? I have a new Scott Drake line I did not use because I went with a '70 pump for a '70 engine.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think the small block one would be to short, it's barely long enough on a small. That's a tight bend to re-do it too.....do you have a hydro hose store/shop nearby? They could make you one if you take it in there. I think our NAPA store makes them and the local truck/frame shop does as well.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yep, same problem, and same vendor. Actually, mine is leaking at the crimped on coupling. So I'm replacing it with a non-MU unit. Love those repro parts ... NOT.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem is solved. What was new is old again. The problem was the pump-side pressure hose. Rather than re-flare it, the shop reinstalled the original hose and it stopped the leaking. So re-flaring probably would have been the answer. Now I have a reason to visit the MU trailer at Carlisle; I have a pressure hose I need to return!

So the Cougar is all tied down in the trailer, the trailer is hitched to the truck and all systems are go for tomorrow morning at 6:00 AM!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Nothing wrong with being old and functioning vs new/pretty and not functioning! Make sure to get your shipping cost back too! ;>) Enjoy - let us know how it goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts