Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wave: Hello to all...I just bought a 2000 Cougar and I'm tring to figure outt a couople of things. First off, no one in the "parts world" seems to know what I'm talking about when i say i need to know what SENSOR THAT IS ON THE TRANSMISSION JUST TO THE RIGHT OF THE GEAR POSITION SENSOR. I have called every parts store I can think of and no one knows what I am talking about. I finally went out there ad tried to pull itt out but failed, there is some kind of trick to getting it out. I have not mastered that trick yet. The only thing I accomplished was getting a headache and the numbers, from what i could see off of the wiring plug, which are the following 93BG14A4646KC ES88A Is there anyone that knows what I am talking about? I allso went onto the FORD.COM web page and seached there, i found what i believe, from what i can tell from the photo, appears to look lke the piece i am refering to but, again when punching in the numbers the site had for that item it came up NO CONTENT FOUND.
If so, can you please teach me the ways of removing this headache of a piece. :bloated:
I drive over 50 miles a day for work, I really need to get this done, SO PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!! OH AND THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING TO THOSE WHO DO, IM SAYING IT NOW CAUSE I PROBABLY WILL BE OUT THERE WRESTLING THAT 11 YEAR OLD CAT:evil:

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
A couple of questions here...If you don't know what it is, how do you know it needs replaced? Are you getting some kind of indicator light? What symptoms are you trying to correct? Could you be looking at the neutral safety switch on the trans?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think that is the electrical connection for the transmission controls. A picture would help considerably.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SAM_0473.jpg SAM_0474.jpg Everything on this car you could say is original.
here is what started this little search...
going steady 70 mph , every 4 or 5 mi. , car will jerk / shutter , the engine tach will jump from about 2800 to 4000 rpm, sometimes even 5000 - like the trans can't select correct gear . . . .usually will be fine for 3 or 4 mile, then jerk 2 + times ,HARD jerks, then be OK again for a bit. after a longish drive , will even do it at slower speeds , so -- is this related to warm up ??? not warm weather but engine /trans heat ? the engine gauge stays 'N'

new fuel filter. new trans oil, re plug main battery , plugs, wires (stamped 1999) coil pack, 2 speed sensors inner and outer have not tried gear position sensor yet, have to wait for pay day due to the fact that the car is still doing the same thing. AUTOZONE calls for only 3 sensors, the ones i know about and the other auto stores dont even call for all three of those.

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tyler,
From looking at a 2000 Contour Shop Manual (Should be the same) , the trans type is CD4E, and it looks like you are talking about the Transaxle Vehicle Harness Connector, it is not anything you should need to mess with or replace.

Has the car been checked for trouble codes? You could spend a LOT of money just throwing parts at your car. If there are any codes present, post them and maybe someone can help.

My $.02

Steve

PS I would look at my Contour to confirm, but it is a 5 speed SVT and therefore different

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have you had the EGR checked My sister had the same problem replacing a few exahust parts fixed it. she had an 01 Cougar. Sometimes it gets clogged but doesn't trip any sensors. Just another opinion. Oh and they are cheap to replace takes about 30mins

·
Registered
71 Posts
That is the main electrical connector for controlling the trans. Does the engine actually rev up and then jump back into gear, or does it die and then come back. Have you checked the fluid level? You will need to scan the computer for codes, and then while road testing it. Did you guess all of those parts into the car already? I have been repairing cars for over 40 years, and usually when somebody tries to guess parts into their car, they end up spending more than if they took it to a qualified mechanic in the first place. One guy I know dropped over a thousand bucks chasing a problem that required a $30.00 temp sensor to fix. The bad part is, I told him that sensor was probably the cause, according to the symptoms, but he did not want to "waste" money having to pay to have it checked out, and thought he knew better. Total bill would have been less than $100.00. This is computer controlled electronics. If you do not know what you are doing, you can screw things up big time, and waste a lot of money, which it seem you have already done, since most likely none of the parts you mentioned would cause your symptoms.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually Zen Dog, all the parts that I have currently replaced on thee car either have (a) needed it (1999 stamped original wires) or (b) have not hurt it nor caused the car to do any further symptoms. I myself have been working on cars since I was 9 growing up military style and nothing but mechanics around what else did i get to do as a kid LOL but any ways YES to your question, the car revs up then jumps, im telling you the first time it did it, i was going bout 70 on my way to work and as soon as it happened my eyes automatically went from the RD to the rear view mirror just to make sure my engine and tranny wasn't laying back there. the only reason i have changed the 2 sensors on the tranny so far is because i read a thread of aa guy that had the exact, down to the T problem and thats what he did to fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts