Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a set of 4 1967 or '68 styled steel wheels that aren't in bad looking shape. The problem that I can see with them is that each wheel has one little crack on each side on the thin inner part (not the chrome) of each spoke. Each crack is in exactly the same place and the owner says that is a common problem for these wheels. Has any one heard of this as we have been looking for new wheels for a while?

Thanks for any help!

Jack

·
Registered
124 Posts
They are probably '67 wheels, since those had wider openings and were prone to cracking as you note. What exactly did you want to know besides confirmation of the existence of this problem? Good luck with this, Rob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering if this would affect the safety or drivability of the wheels, no sense buying them if they aren't safe. (and to see if the seller new what he was talking about :) )

·
Registered
17 Posts
Common problem with the 67 wheels. Safe I wouldnt do 70 mph with them and feel good about it. Specialty wheel makes repos and they are made here vs china. little expensive but you can even upsize them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My $0.02: I would not buy cracked wheels. For what it's worth, I've had a set of Specialty Wheels on my '68 since 1995 with no issues whatsoever. They've got about 45K miles on them now, and I think the quality of the wheel is outstanding -- they still look like new after 17 years.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Don't do it. If center caps and trim rings, they have value but the wheels are spent. Hang one on the wall maybe?
Check out WCCC site for details on the repops..they are welded together, not rivited, and as mentioned, you can get larger sizes as well as a chrome outer rim so no trim ring.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Don't do it. If center caps and trim rings, they have value but the wheels are spent. Hang one on the wall maybe?
Check out WCCC site for details on the repops..they are welded together, not rivited, and as mentioned, you can get larger sizes as well as a chrome outer rim so no trim ring.
Learn something new every day. Anyone have some of these wheels on a 67 or 68. 15x7's Black Argent. I wonder if 15x8's would fit a stock 67/68?
http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/2001094.html

Bill

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts