Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have found a great deal from California Mustang for front end kit. Includes lower and upper arms w/ball joints,2 spring perches,spring insulators,bumpers, strut rod bushings,sway bar end links, idler arm,outer and inner tie rod ends, and adjusting sleeves for $370. with free shipping. My question is has anybody out there dealt with Calf Mustang and has a particular sales rep they have dealt with? Also since these parts are primarily for the Mustang should I have any problems with part compatiblity on my 70 Cougar? Any help or comments appreciated.:1zhelp:

·
11,000 Posts
No Problems

Anthing front end wise for a Mustang of a similar year will fit your Cougar correctly.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got my above front suspension package installed on Thursday and Friday. I also bought 418 lb spring rate coil springs along with front wheel bearings and shocks. Had a mechanic that works at a local Meinke Muffler shop install all these parts for $300. He works for cash off the books when the manager is away. I thought I got a great deal on the labor considering all that was done. Everything fits great and the new coil springs really helped to lift the front end. I now can actually crawl under the front of the car to work on it. The front end sits about an inch higher than I would like but I am hoping the coil springs will settle some.

Now I am going to need new rear leafs also as back of car sits about an inch an half lower than the front.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
The only thing I have heard about some of the cheaper front end kits out there is that they may use the 'incorrect' ball joints for your particular year that may or may not have the correct number of rivets or bolts. Some have three, some have four. I'm not entering any concours shows with my Cat, so that was of no concern to me.

When I bought my front end kit from Performance Suspension Technologies ( www.p-s-t.com ), I got the full kit with the stiffer polygraphite bushings (see my review of this in the reviews section). The only thing not included with the kit that you might need is the upper spring isolators. Mine were all chewed up.
Of course, while you're installing this kit, it is a good time to replace the front springs and/or shocks if you want or need to since you have the old ones out already. Also, it is a good time to install the right angled Zerk (grease) fittings into your upper control arms. This was also a good time for me to install new front brake hoses. There are a whole bunch of I-might-as-well-as-long-as-I'm-under-here things you can do...

It sure is nice to have a 'new' front suspension under your car now, eh? Much better handling, etc..

Milo

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Polygraphite vs. Rubber

There's a BIG difference! The standard (OEM replacement) rubber bushings age rather quickly, but have some "give" to them, and help insure a more comfortable ride.

On the other hand, polygraphite is much more "firm", lasts MUCH longer, requires no maintenance, but has no "give", and removes the "luxury" from the ride.

Personally, I feel that "stiffer" is better (no pun intended)...

·
Registered
906 Posts
We just finished redoing the front end of Jason's conv. with the polygraphite super kit ,front sway bar, and KYB gas shocks from PST and 620 springs from Mustang Plus. What a difference it made! Barry is right, firmer is definately better!!

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts