Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey you Eliminator guys,

Am seriously dealing on an Eliminator in Cali and I'm trying to determine the authenticity. There is a link below that shows some pictures of the car. I believe there is a buck tag there too and a VIN that is shown. In the trunk pics though I don't see the hardware for the prop rod or the holes either. There is a copy of the Marti report too you can check out. Really just looking for some guidance here as I've lurked here a long time but never have owned one of these cars.

https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_action=app/orchestrateDownload&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.yousendit.com%2Ftransfer.php%3Faction%3Dbatch_download%26send_id%3D1155489079%26email%3Dd41c967e366bcdcb8839c1bdaa576f0b&s=19105&cid=tx-02002208350200000000

link to marti report and pics.

https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_action=app/orchestrateDownload&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.yousendit.com%2Ftransfer.php%3Faction%3Dbatch_download%26batch_id%3DUnlEZm1TSWVCSnBjR0E9PQ

Some opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Looks real to me. As long as the VIN markings on the car match the Marti Report, you have an original Eliminator. It's clearly been repainted so maybe the original decklid and right rear extension were replaced which would explain the missing prop rod. Looks like a solid car to restore. Good luck with the purchase.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Make sure the VIN matches the Marti Report, and that the Marti Report says "Eliminator Package". If you are not sure if his Marti is real, then you could order a Marti yourself using his cars VIN. I think the "quickie" Marti is $40, so well worth the investment.

Other things to look for;
http://www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com/elim/defin/clones.html

So, basically you can use some of the codes to confirm that a car COULD be an Eliminator. But without original docs or a Marti, or a "G" engine code, there is no 100%.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jeff,

I just freak about long distance buying and I've seen too many rebody stories too. I am not as well versed on these cars either and just wanted opinions. Looks like a fairly solid car. That is a copy of the report too. The guy I'm dealing with seems pretty straight up too.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Looks real to me. As long as the VIN markings on the car match the Marti Report, you have an original Eliminator. It's clearly been repainted so maybe the original decklid and right rear extension were replaced which would explain the missing prop rod. Looks like a solid car to restore. Good luck with the purchase.
Yeah, the trim on the trunk lid is missing too, so maybe it's been replaced.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah guys I noticed that too about the trunk lid. BTW...did the VIN tag on the dash look normal? I don't know that I've ever too many of the VIN's on the dash to know. Does the "buck" tag look normal too? The car looks original inside but being painted just want to make sure. May order another report.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The car has been in the registry since the early '90's at which time it was in PA. As mentioned, the trunk lid may not be original to the car. The trim is missing and the spoiler has been off at some point. It looks like the pedestals are mounted backwards and the spoiler braces on the inside of the lid are missing, as is the prop rod and clip. The dash pad center blackout piece is also missing. The gas cap door and shifter handle are correct for a '70 Eliminator.

The vin and buck tags look correct for the vehicle.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys so much for your help guys. Thanks Dave for the information on letting me know it was in the registry. This info helps.

Cheers,

Brian

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah...now that you say it looks like there is no rear sway bar. Unless I'm just missing it too. I forgot that it was supposed to have one. I'll have to ask about that.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

Guy sent me more pictures of the trunk lid. It does have the holes for the prop rod in the trunk lid and the hole in the quarter panel. Car I belive is probably without a doubt an eliminator. Here is my take on the car. It had what I would call a light restoration probably in the 80's at some point. Just to spiff things up. Car looks solid underneath but I did notice black paint or undercoating also and that can hide things obviously. You never know till you get that stuff off. Also didn't see the rear sway bar that was mentioned but the picture may not be wide enough to be able to show it. I don't know the exact location of the mounting points on these cars. Anyways, I turned the car down as my father and I are looking for something we both like...and he did not like the Comp Gold color at all. Will keep on looking. Dad really wants Comp Green or maybe Orange. I'd take a blue one with blue interior myself!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I hear ya on the Comp Gold. But if a 4speed Comp Gold car came along... man, I think I'd have to get over my prejudice :)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Still a cool car.ALWAYS loved the comp gold.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
X3 on the thumbs down for Comp Gold.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah...I really like unusual colors the best. Im Not one for the usual reds, blacks etc. I don't dislike the gold but it just seems out of place a bit to me on an eliminator. Some colors look better on other cars.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Its all about taste, i like all the colors but something bout a comp gold eliminator i like alot.Ed drozd from connecticut has a sweet 70 comp gold n that like :

thanks
pat

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Oh, it is an ok color, but it is my bottom choice for an Eliminator. Y'know, like I could just go down to the dealership and choose an Eliminator in whatever color I wanted instead of having to choose from what is available on the market :-b

Sure, I could paint "my" car whatever color I want... but I won't.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Competition Gold Mercury or Grabber Orange Ford is probably the most desireable color on a Boss 302. It was good enough for Bud Moore, Parnelli, and George Fulmer. One of my favorites. I also was in contact with the seller but came to the conclusion a better car could be had for more money and in the long run be a better buy which is usually the case. High teens will get you a nice Eliminator which is where you would be with this car with just fresh paint if the panels were all retained. Chrome and trim is very expensive for 69/70 Cougars and Mustangs. Did not like the DSO.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'm surprised how many guys dislike comp. gold. Not my favorite, but I like it better than blue. But maybe that's because every other eliminator I see is blue.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good call sportworthy.....I thought the same. Gonna have big bucks in paint and some body work just to start. Then all the other stuff. I figured mid 20's for a nice driver somebody would have invested in the car and that is not counting other problems that might pop up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts