Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking my oil when the dipstick tube came out with the dipstick. I tried shoving it back in but it barely grabs and wont go any further. Keeps falling out. My oil pressure fluxuating like crazy. Im scared to drive the car, being my daily driver Im outta work now and that means no more moeny. !!!! It located on the back of the drivers side, under the headers. So I planned on removing the headers but again another problem. The header are slightly bent to where I cant remove the bolts that sit behind the tube! Jesus, there has got to be a simpler way!!!! 1971 Mercury Cougar XR7 with a 85 model Mustang 5.0

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'd try just plugging it until you can get it fixed.....try running in a sheet metal screw in there - you may be able to extract it with it if it's broken off..? Otherwise it will take some doing

·
Registered
980 Posts
Hmmm, when you say it won't go in "any further" is there a piece broken off? Or did the whole thing let go? Is there a bolt that holds the whole tube assembly in place??? This link may be of some use as it details others efforts at the tube. Hope it helps you out.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/94-95-tech/216063-1995-mustang-gt-oil-dipstick-tube-installation-trouble.html

<TABLE style="POSITION: absolute; DISPLAY: none; TOP: 2949px; LEFT: 323px" id=lightbox0 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD><INPUT style="BORDER-BOTTOM: white 1px solid; POSITION: relative; BORDER-LEFT: white 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black; PADDING-LEFT: 4px; WIDTH: 30px; PADDING-RIGHT: 4px; COLOR: white; BORDER-TOP: white 1px solid; TOP: 12px; CURSOR: pointer; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; BORDER-RIGHT: white 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 4px; LEFT: -12px" id=lightboxbutton0 class=button value=X type=button>
<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: white 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: white 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black; BORDER-TOP: white 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: white 1px solid" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR class=lightboxtextrow><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 4px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black; PADDING-LEFT: 4px; PADDING-RIGHT: 4px; COLOR: white; PADDING-TOP: 4px" class=smallfont>0125000947.jpg</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black; PADDING-LEFT: 4px; PADDING-RIGHT: 4px; COLOR: white; PADDING-TOP: 4px" class=smallfont>01-25-2010 11:53 AM</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: 2949px; LEFT: 541px" id=lightbox1 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
<INPUT style="BORDER-BOTTOM: white 1px solid; POSITION: relative; BORDER-LEFT: white 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black; PADDING-LEFT: 4px; WIDTH: 30px; PADDING-RIGHT: 4px; COLOR: white; BORDER-TOP: white 1px solid; TOP: 12px; CURSOR: pointer; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; BORDER-RIGHT: white 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 4px; LEFT: -12px" id=lightboxbutton1 class=button value=X type=button>​

<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: white 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: white 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black; BORDER-TOP: white 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: white 1px solid" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doesnt appear to be broken, when I go the car they had a adjustable clamp holding it in place. Its like the tube fits but wont go in. Im about to say screw it and pull the whole damn motor

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
They are just pressed in - if you look at a new tube there is a little "coller" about and inch or so from the bottom to keep it from going in to far. Getting them out requires tapping it out from the opposite side with a punch, but they often break off because the tube wall is thin and brittle.....snaps like a friggin twig!

Another option - which I'm reluctant to even mention is to go ahead and drive in the broken stub an install the new tube......but there's a chance that piece could get lodged into something (but not likely) - you could put in a magenetic drain plug and see if you get lucky? Not crazy about it but I throw it out there! LOL Caveat Emptor

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I pulled the header completely off and replaced with a new tube and dipstick. although the new tube fit snug and perfect. the new dipstick would not go all the way in to fully seat, so I use the old dipstick with the new tube a wallah, it worked, now my problem is the stubborn header bolts, the ones that sit behind the first and second tube, I cant get a wrench on the head enough to turn them.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts