Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of swapping out my radiator with a cheap replacement I got from Advance Auto parts, and the dumb thing has a 1.5" outlet at the bottom. :(

So, any good suggestions on how to adapt my 1.75" hose to it? Are there hoses that have different size ends that might work? Has anyone else seen this with new radiators?

Thanks,
Alan
'70 std convertible, 351W 2V

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
When I switched from a 351C to the CJ I also switched to a 24 radiator I happen to still have that rad that I had boiled out a few months before Make a fair offer and its yours if you want the correct one...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Four-55, but I still have the original that came with my car, and plan on having the crack in the tank seam brazed shut. Off this topic, how did you fab up your ram air seal? I want to do something similar, but I'm not sure what to use or how to secure it.

I think I was able to get the hose clamp to compress the hose enough to seal well. I figured it was worth a try anyway. I'll just have to watch the hose and my temp gauge closely. I'll post back with the results just in case somebody else runs into this issue.

-Alan

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Al,

I had the same problem with the radiator in my '70 HT with a Cleveland. I got a piece of a smaller hose (or was it a rubber adapter?) and put that on thhe small outlet and then the hose over that. Worked great.

On the Ram-Air seal, Frost King garage door weatherstrip and weatherstrip adhesive to glue the ends together, < $20. If you look at the finished pictures on my ECI thread (around page 100) there are some pictures. Worked great too!

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Bob.

If I run into issues with the hose sealing, I'll try a rubber shim of sorts. Nice simple solution.

I'll also look at the frost king seal. I plan on recreating your setup...chrome lid w/ 351 ram air sticker and all. It looks fantastic on your car! Did you use anything to hold the seal in place, or is it a tension fit?

Regards,
-Alan

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Al,

Tension fit, but because of the PCV breather and the snorkel block-off, I ended up going with some Velcro to hold it to the air cleaner base in those areas. Had to remove the adhesive and go with weatherstrip adhesive on the weatherstrip side, the adhesive would not stay bound to the weatherstrip. With weatherstrip adhesive, all seems to be well. The rest is a tension fit as you observe/suggested.

The Frost King stuff was either (or both) from HD or Lowes. I love a cheap, elegant solution!

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll keep the velcro tricks in mind. I was afraid I'd have to drill holes in my air cleaner base for retaining screws, so I'm glad to hear a tension fit works with the material you used.

By the way, I like your brake calipers, too.

Thanks again.
-Alan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts