Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently contacted by someone who had purchased a home in Calimesa CA and apparententally it came with a 68 Cougar on the property. He would like it gone, but not for free. I originally thought that this new homeowner was looking to sell the car but now it appears that the old homeowner, and car owner, is looking to sell it. I understand that the car may be advertised locally for sale also.

The car is a standard 68, J code, auto. It's been sitting in the sun and the paint is gone. Originally Madras Blue with a Parchment/Aqua interior. the original engine/trans are out and have been replaced with a 351C/C6. Suppose to be built to race. The interior looks to be replaced with 69 black seats, door panels recovered in material. It might make a nice project depending upon how solid the body is.

What the new homeowner would like is for someone close by to come and take a look at the car to let him know more about it. Check it for condition and options. I get the impression that the new homeowner is not much of a car guy. He tells me that Calimesa is next to Yucaipa and near San Bernadino. The new homeowner is still in Newport Beach. If anyone out there is able to go check the car out for him, or even if you are interested in buying it, let me know and I will get you in touch with him. Thank you in advance for any help that may be offered.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Randy, 3 years ago, I would have been the guy to run this one down. I found my 1969 R code in Yucaipa, back in 1995.
Drawing a blank though for a recommendation, Mopar Don is south of there an hour or so?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scott. Phil Parcells brought up your name right away too. I think that this could possibly be a good project car or perhaps a decent donor body. We just need to find out if there are any rust issues.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say that the above CL ad would be the same car. I have also been lead to believe that it could be bought for much less. It would have to be, from the photos that I saw and the VIN and door data plate information the car is not worth 8K. The big question mark is how much rust is there, if any.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was able to make contact with the new owner of the house where the Cougar is located.

• The engine is a 351 CI Windsor Engine bored out to 359 CI
  • All engine work was done by a certified Ford mechanic, friend of owner.
  • All receipts are available for the work done.
  • High performance pistons, rods, rings, etc.
  • Earson Racing cam
  • Hooker Headers
  • Home made custom exhaust detachable from collectors on headers. Two/two chamber flomaster mufflers.
  • C6 transmission, rebuilt with high performance kit with added high performance shift kit
  • B&M ratchet shifter
  • 2nd owner of car...a California car with no wrecks, no dents, no bondo, no body cancer and no undercarriage rust. Was a soft top—and all rust is sandable.
  • All parts in car.
  • Possible mag wheels in trunk. (keys/lock need to be freed up to open).
  • The engine has about $3K worth of parts and machine work in it.
This fellow’s plan was to have a street legal car that could also compete at the drag races.

I was able to take some pictures and hopefully this link will work. Let me know if it doesn't.

http://s1293.beta.photobucket.com/user/XR7Phil/library/

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for going and checking it out Phil and for posting the additional photos. Now all we need to do is to find this poor cat a new home.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

1 - 8 of 8 Posts