Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got one, for under 200 dollars? I have parts to trade!! Fenders, doors, quarter patches,....ASAP!!!

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Look for a 74 to 78 Elete, Cougar or T-bird. Order a new mirror eliment from WCCC and no one will know the deference. You could also drill some 3/4inch holes and use the remote mirror head that they come with.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a pair of 72 mirrors, they don't fit the body line good enough...(the base, that mounts to the door)

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Like this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-74-MERC...sories&vxp=mtr

Will the base fit the door curve?
Yes, It sits on the top edge of the door. Kind of like the drivers side mirror. Not the side like a Mustang, Pinto or Mavrick. Get the rubber seal too. I didn't see one on it. I can check the number on hte base when I get home tonight. It will be fairly late though.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Tried sending you a PM, but your inbox may be full. Anyway, I've got one I'd part with. Its a '70-'71 Torino side mirror, same as was used on '70 Eliminators. D0OE or D1OE part number on the base, I can't remember which. $100.00 shipped.

Jay

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the base is what's different on the cat's - I gotta Torino one and the angle doesn't work - you would still need a base

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AAARGH! (plus ten characters)

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the base is what's different on the cat's - I gotta Torino one and the angle doesn't work - you would still need a base
Someone should tell Don so he can correct his site:
http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/70o-17714-1.html
http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/60373-401-jc.html

P.S. the one I have for sale is the D1OB-17713-AWA variety. There's a slight crack on the lower inside edge of the base, could use a drop of JB Weld. Glass is nice. Still $100.00 if you want it.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
1969 Torino sport mirrors won't work, 1970-71 ones do.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
HUH, so I guess you'll have to add that one to the valence panel piece for paint once you get them ready......there's always some overlooked little things that catch you at the last second. So, did they ever make a chromed base for the XR7 passenger side I wonder?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CJ750, 2nd PM sent, I'll take it!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Brian,

As WCCC points out, the heads are all the same (within reason of course), why not invest your money in a repro base to go with the one you have? Probably the least expensive route and it will fit as it should.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
No, since the XR7 never came with a right hand racing mirror.
That fact aside Jeff I have seen a picture of a Torino (I think) chromed PS mirror base mounted on a 69/70 Cougar somewhere along the line. So I think the answer is yes that there is a chromed PS base that will fit a Cougar out there.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Hmm, where have I seen a chromed passenger side mirror base before? Oh, yeah, on car in my signature. Duh. LOL

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, I think I will try to hunt one down for the vert then.....I hate not having a mirror there!

Well B that re-pop base isn't exactly cheap though..? At least if you get Jeff's you can cherry pick what you have and resell a head I guess......

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have it on the way from CJ750....I hope the painter will still paint it!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Scott is right. If you are restoring a 1969 XR7 with a driver's side chrome mirror base, and you add a passenger side mirror, it should also have a chrome base to match! Scott's car looks great. For some reason 1970 XR7s didn't have a chrome base, although I plan to restore my convertible that way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts