Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some ideas. The rear of my '69 is almost 2 inches lower on the drivers side. I started to change the rear springs but was told that if the braces behind the rear seat have broke loose that it can cause this problem. Both of mine were loose. I put the car on jack stands and made sure the frame was level,then spot welded the braces back on. Put the car on the ground no differance:bloated:. I went ahead and replaced the rear springs and it is still the same. anybody have any idea's on what to try next?:uhoh:

elim03.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same issue with my '68. I replaced the old worn out shocks and bought new leaf springs but have not put them on yet. It appears that my lower shock brackets may be damaged too, contributing to the problem. I'll keep you posted...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Check the shackles in the rear end of leaf springs, maybee loose or the rubber is damaged?

/Tommy.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Gonna ask a really dumb question, hate to miss an easy one, are both rear tires the same size? If yes then sorry. Also, what are the front suspension measurements? Are the front heights equal drivers vs. Passengers? Maybe a front end anomoly is influencing the rear if you don't find anything in the rear suspension and body?
Kevin

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the rear hangers rubber bushings with the new springs and the rear rims/tires are the same, as for the front, it only differs by a 1/4 inch.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Next dumb question: the leaf spring isolators are installed on both sides? If yes then I'd look for unibody damage onrhat drivers side. Take some more measurements on both sides to try to find the problem. I can't see how the braces behind rear seat would have any influence at all. Only thing I could think of is ifyoure using air shocks and its jacked up such that the high side's shock mount is still intact while the low side has a broken mount. This is possible only if air shocks are installed and trying to hold the rear end higher up than stock.
Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts