Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gentlemen, been a while since I posted.

I'm so, so, SO close to getting my 383 stroker engine started, but I am currently dealing with very weak spark. Like, I can't even get it to arc (though if I stick my finger on line from ignition coil to distributor I get a nice shock...still no arc tho).

I've got an Accel ignition coil, Mallory Unilite distributor, I've been swapping out two fully charged batteries, new starter relay...etc. I had some problems with my wiring harness, had to fix up the part that plugs into the voltage regulator and alternator...I am thinking maybe I need a new regulator (I think its the original!) or something along those lines. I've gone ahead and checked all my grounds and I think they are good.

Currently the motor turns over fairly healthy, though I think it should be turning over even faster. This will be the maiden run for this engine (it's all oiled up, ready to go) and I'd really like to get my kitty roaring for the summer. So please, help a brother out, tell me some of the common problems I should look for, help me troubleshoot this madness.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Is the coil new? If not, may want to try another. Also, make sure you have either a resistor wire or ballast resistor on the power lead to the Unilite if you don't have an ignition box.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Do you have a multi meter? U could start by checking battery voltage (need at least 12.5) verify correct voltage to the distributor, check the plug and coil wire resistance. How close do you think you have the initial timing set? Does it want to fire at all?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts