Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 72 XR-7 convertible will be done soonish and one of the decisions I have to make regards the wheels. It came with some trashy KMart special wheel covers. I have two options: Find good XR-7 wire covers or get some nice chrome wheels. I can do both for about the same money.

Thoughts?

:confused:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm about ready to get wheels for my '68. I think I'm going with polished aluminum.

·
Registered
448 Posts
wheels

Chas,
I have always liked the magnum 500's on the 3rd gen cats. They are available from a bunch of vendors, come in various sizes, and can be fitted with the cougar center caps from the 69-70 cats.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
885 Posts
Chas,

I feel the same way as Paul about this. The Cougar center caps on the Magnum 500's are a big plus, and you have a choice of rim sizes, although most people choose 15" x 7" especially if they plan to replace their tires at the same time. And, the Magnum's are priced reasonably.

Steve C.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Chrome

Nice chrome wheels....like a Cragar.:ylsup:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, so I think you all are saying...

Ditch the hubcaps and go with the wheels. Except maybe Tim, I'm not quite sure which way he voted, maybe both ways? And I didn't say but should have that I will be buying new tires. The ones on it are "Winston Californians" whatever the hell they are and they're flat on the bottom anyway.

So the next questions are where to buy them and what size? I see a lot of them on eBay and I'm leery of buying something as critical to safety as wheels sight unseen (gee, isn't that the way I bought the whole car?) but the prices seem tempting.

As for size, the tires on it now are P205/75R/14. I haven't checked to see if they are correct since it won't go, but what size works, looks best?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Chas,
I had 235/60/r14s on 14x7 magnums on my '71 convertible. Looked very sharp. Used Magnums can be purchased cheap at swap meets and with some painting can look like new. For new wheels, all the Mustang and Cougar vendors are priced about the same when it comes to Magnum 500s (the chrome version opposed to the regular magnum).

Here is what my '70 looks like with swap meet Magnums and trim rings (note the red mercury caps. The blue cougar caps were out of stock at the time):

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Chas, ditch the wire's, there for Lincolns and Jags! (although there not bad on the verts) Go with the chrome magnums with the tri bar magnum 500 spinner center caps. That is if you want a halfway stock look otherwise I vote the Cragar SS's and there going to be less than the magnums to buy. Just my opinion since you asked but do what you like best. mm

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
"Except maybe Tim, I'm not quite sure which way he voted, maybe both ways?"

You weren't too specific in what you wanted. There isn't a right or wrong choice. Just don't screw it up! LOL
If you want a period performance upgrade go with the lighter all aluminum wheels, Like the Torque Thrust II or Ds. Everybody likes the Magnums, can't go wrong there. The wire covers are good looking and were an original option, if you want to keep it correct. Don't forget the other factory styled steel wheel for 71-72.

Crager SS are a nice classic design, but I always think of them for 50s-mid 60s era. The Pep Boy 10 hole chrome rims IMHO only look good on a truck.

Tires? You can't go wrong with white letter BF Goodrich T/As. Stick with whitewalls with wire wheel covers.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
$20!!!! dog dishes man... dog dishes... i just need to find some 15 inch Crown Vic wheels now for them..... well, $23 if you count the cheapy gloss black spray paint for the wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here is something that I learned.....

Here is something that I learned.....It is a lot harder for someone to steal your WHEELS. I had a VERY nice set of wire hubcaps - with he black dots, on my first '68. Went to the shopping mall to exchange a game, came back GONE! They stole my hubcaps right in the parking lot in broad daylight......*******s.

Another thing I learned....It is a LOT easier (and faster) to clean Chrome WHEELS than it is wire hubcaps.

There ya go - 2 thoughts for the price of one...

post a pic when you decide.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Center caps

Jim, when are you going to change the center caps on your yellow clone to the running cats?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts