Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my Marti report came today, and it said that my car was a dealer demo model (that explains why it didn't sell until 10/67) and, most unexpectedly, it was ordered as a Dan Gurney Special!

Now according to the CCOA web site, the DG Special consisted of turbine wheel covers, nylon tires (mine was ordered with white walls), a 289 (mine is an A code), a chrome engine dress up kit, and a sticker.

Now here's where things get a little odd.... My engine, which shows every indication of being original, definitely does NOT have chrome valve covers or oil dip stick. It DOES have a chrome oil cap, with the proper outlet for a closed emission system and FoMoCo stamping. The air cleaner is a chrome open-element with HiPo sticker that the PO said was not original but purchased from Ford.

So, my questions:

- What's most likely?

That it was ordered as a DG but most of the pieces were never installed by the dealer on a demo model?

That the missing pieces were changed out over time (seems unlikely that the valve covers would be bad enough to be replaced but the oil cap would not)?

Or I supposed it is not the original engine, but all the casting dates I've found so far seem correct for the vehicle.

- Would the correct air cleaner be an open element like the HiPo?

Where would the closed emission system hose from the oil cap connect to in this case?

This is certainly something I didn't expect!!!!

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Sounds like a PO swapped the all the engine chrome onto another vehicle at some time (probably had a Mustang!!)

Closed emission breather runs from oil cap to normal 289 aircleaner - same CA set-up as 67 Mustang

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
leonbray said:
Sounds like a PO swapped the all the engine chrome onto another vehicle at some time (probably had a Mustang!!)

Closed emission breather runs from oil cap to normal 289 aircleaner - same CA set-up as 67 Mustang
Let me rephrase... the DGS had a chrome air cleaner for all 289s... does that mean the open-element cleaner as normally used on the HiPo engine only?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
leonbray said:
Another possibility that just popped into my head... it's also possible that the dealer swapped out the chrome before selling it off in October!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Dan Gurney special or not, I sure do like your two cars, especially the blue Cougar. Take care of them and restore the Cougar to it's original configuration.
Have fun and Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
COUGRRRMAN said:
Dan Gurney special or not, I sure do like your two cars, especially the blue Cougar. Take care of them and restore the Cougar to it's original configuration.
Have fun and Happy Holidays.
Thank you for the kind words, COUGRRRMAN. Both cars are greatly loved.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My '68 DGS doesn't have any of the chrome left either (though everything's been painted, maybe if I took the paint off....) I asked before, but can anyone provide a picture of the "turbine wheel covers"? I have a couple of sets of wheel covers that I really like, but I'm not sure which are the original - or valuable - ones.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Are those wheel covers (on the DGS page) the turbine covers? If so, I have those on my brother's '68 standard... ?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
On the chrome engine dress up kit.... Tiffany is a DGS according to the Marty report but it does not have the dress up kit save for the oil cap.... She was built 4/67 which maybe they just ran out of the parts.... or somebody just swapped them out. I'm sure that when the SCCC redid her it didn't have the chrome either.

I think ford just ran out of em...
my .02

Don

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
texrep said:
On the chrome engine dress up kit.... Tiffany is a DGS according to the Marty report but it does not have the dress up kit save for the oil cap.... She was built 4/67 which maybe they just ran out of the parts.... or somebody just swapped them out. I'm sure that when the SCCC redid her it didn't have the chrome either.

I think ford just ran out of em...
my .02

Don
That seems unlikely to me, Don. Consider that the DGS was a mid-year addition to the Cougar. They should have known roughly what they were going to sell, and certainly should have had enough not to run out in April! My car is somewhat later (July 8 build date), and if they did have supply problems, you'd think they'd be solved by then.

Finally, a DGS which was simply wheel covers, an oil cap, and a sticker? Pretty uninspiring.

I'm still hoping an "expert" will chime in.....

·
11,000 Posts
My first DGS was a maroon '67 that I bought from the original owner in 1976. Paid $400. It had a 289 / 2V and C4, console, chrome dressup on the engine and PS, AC and power drum brakes. It was originally Vintage Burgundy with Black standard interior and the turbine wheel covers. It had something like 50,000 miles. The interior and chrome were perfect.

I put a fresh black lacquer paint job on it, doing all the work myself the total cost was $150.00 for the paint, primer, bondo, sandpaper and tape.

I had a '67 XR-7 with a 4 speed that was my favorite Cougar at the time. It got the chrome dress up kit. I put the blue air cleaner and valve covers on the DGS and then I sold the DGS for a whopping $1200 which was a lot of money back then.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Royce Peterson said:

I put a fresh black lacquer paint job on it, doing all the work myself the total cost was $150.00 for the paint, primer, bondo, sandpaper and tape.
These days, that $150 might buy you the tape....

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
66_Pony said:
These days, that $150 might buy you the tape....
i dont know about you guys, but i can still duplicate that for the same price :D of course, not charging for labor, and the paint isnt exactly good. but it still counts!!! lol

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sixt9coug said:
i dont know about you guys, but i can still duplicate that for the same price
A '67 DGS, perfect chrome and interior with fresh paint for $1200? SOLD! :p:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
lol... not the whole car..... just the paint. hell i can get paint for $50... bondo for $10... tape for $10 for a few rolls... $15 for a quart of primer ( yes i can do a car with a quart lol ) and hell masking paper and sandpaper for $20. all that and enough left over for a tank of gas lol. and heyy..... if you let me use stuff i have lying around i can make it a basecoat clearcoat for the same price lol. of course... without labor :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
greggieatthebat said:
My '68 DGS doesn't have any of the chrome left either (though everything's been painted, maybe if I took the paint off....) I asked before, but can anyone provide a picture of the "turbine wheel covers"? I have a couple of sets of wheel covers that I really like, but I'm not sure which are the original - or valuable - ones.
Here's a picture of one of the originals from my car:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Thanks Steve... I guess those aren't *quite* the ones my brother's cat has...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts