Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've been looking at a 1968 Cougar that I've seen for sale for about a month now, and I just got back from looking at it (It's about 6.5 hours away from me). The guy is asking $8,000 for it, but I think that that price may be a bit steep for a car like that. The paint is in perfect condition, the chrome is the same. The interior has been just about completely redone, save the steering wheel, which is missing the vinyl cover and has a broken horn (the metal horn control is broken on one side). He has re-done all the rubber around the windows, put nice wheels on it, new tires, and a new front suspension. He has taken out the A/C components, and the chrome trim around the fenders, below the doors, and around the sides of the roof. He removed the rear side relfectors, and all of the "Mercury" and "Cougar" emblems. He has also lowered the car and added a flowmaster exhaust system with hooker headers.

Now for the problems:
The passenger door does not close correctly. when one lifts up on the door when closing it, it fits well. Could the door have just sagged over the years, or does this suggest an accident? I also mentioned earlier that the steering wheel was missing it's vinyl cover and that the horn control was broken on one side. I was wondering how common this was. The seller says it's from normal use, but my previous cougar's horn control was fine. The trunk lid, when open, will wobble a bit on the hinges when pushed up on. I'm wondering if maybe the lid needs to be bolted down tighter on the hinges or if it may be in bad shape. Also when I was looking in the trunk, I noticed that there was a crack in the metal that runs widthwise between the wheel wells behind the back seat on the passenger side. I'm quite sure this is not supposed to be there. There is also some beginnings of rust under the paint behind the driver's door on the bottom panel in front of the tire. Not bad now, but will probably worsen after time. Lastly, the front bumper is a little crooked, with it sagging down a little bit on the passenger side.

This is all i can think of from what i remember. I really like the car and what the seller has done to it, but what do you guys think? Is it worth the buy? More importantly, is it worth $8,000? It's true that he has put a lot of good quality work into the car, but what would you people estimate it to be worth? I would really appreciate your input, if pictures would help you to make a better judgement, I can send those to you as well.

-- Caleb --

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Pictures would help, but from your description, I'd say he isn't all that out of line.

Most of the problems you described are very easily dealt with. The passenger door is fixed with a new set of pins and bushings for about $5 and a couple hours work.

If the car is a 390 car, it makes it an easier to say yes. For a 302 car, I'd be wobbly at $8000 and probably offer anywhere from 6500 to 7000.

What's the engine in the car? Is it an XR7 or standard.

If you're describing a standard 302 car, he'd be hard pressed to get $8000 for it. If you're describing a 390 XR7 car, then it's alot easier to justify.

Post up some pics.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
I kind of agree with logan here caleb taking off the emblems to me isnt a great selling point rodding a car in some cases removes what people liked to begin with so it can drop the value. If it was me i would go to the nats west this next weekend i am sure you will see many different cars and many for sale you will like as well. plus you can show some pictures around and ask some of the 67-8 boys and gals their oppinions in person.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
A 68 standard with a 289 will be VERY hard pressed to get $8000 for it... It's a plain jane nothing special car.

In excellent condition, I'd say between 5500-6500 would be my personal max, even if it was in show condition.

Here's what NADA lists it for:

Low Retail: $3,900
Average Retail: $5,825
High Retail: $8,450

You can typically drop these prices by 1500 to get an accurate assessment of worth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot guys, thats what i was thinking as well. This is my first time I've ever bought a car (My dad let me have my first cougar), so it's good to hear some non-biased input. What's this Nats west thing? Could you give me a site where I could get more Info?

·
Registered
866 Posts
8 Grand is alot of money for a 68 Standard. At that price it should have nothing wrong with it. Hell, for that price it should make you dinner everynight.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Say, I'm just down the road from you. What color is this car? I seen a maroon one in Ventura about a year ago. I lived in Oxnard at the time. From what I seen of the car it was very nice. If your not wanting to spend that kind of money on it, there are a couple in Lompoc. If you want I can find out more info for you.
Paul W. 67 std

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I paid 6K for mine about 2 years ago.... Yeah it needed some work and I'm still fixin' the nit=pickin' things. .. But the bottom line is if you like the cat.... go for it!!!!! If it's got a good start it could be an awsome Cat!!!:D

Als see if you can talk the owner down a bit.

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paul,
The car is ice blue, w/ a blue interior. That would be great if you could get some more info up about those cougars.

-- Caleb --

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have just run across a 68 for sale the guy wants 300. for it. No motor no tranny. There is surface rust on the trunk lid. The body looks stright. I haven't seen the front end yet. I was thinking about buying it, but not sure. It has cloth interior and looks to be in ok shape from what I can see. I will get ahold of my brother-in law and have him check into those 2 in lompoc. They might be pretty beat up not sure. They are kids and like to race.
Paul W. 67 std

·
Registered
175 Posts
Too Much!

In my mind, for 8 grand it would have to be mint! I gave 2.5 for mine 3 years ago in fair condition.

·
Registered
889 Posts
parts

Dose he still have the trim and name plates?If you want to put them back on its nice to have them.Some one took ALL of mine off but the price was right 3500. 69XR-7 390,C-6,leather int.I still have a few trim peices to get.I have located them but the $$$$ figuer stands in the way.For that amount you should have all the peices to complete the puzzel. Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dan, yes, he says he has all the name plates and most of the trim. I dont worry about the trim too much, except for the piece that goes on the lower lip of the trunk lid, along with the trim pieces that conect to it. They arent put on yet, and im wondering if its because maybe they do not fit correctly? Does this happen often?

·
Registered
889 Posts
broken clips

Its probably the clips broke,plastic ones were used at the factory,I took one to a body supply store and matched it with a GM metal molding clip. nice and tight. Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts