Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
The bottom one looks like a manual choke. I have the same thing one my 68. Top two I think have something to do with Vacuum. Not 100% sure on the top two though

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
The upper picture is an after market vacuum tree. The second picture is the fresh air vent control cable for the driver side, present on all '67 and '68 Cougars.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you xr7g428 and everybody else! :)

Now, I am trying to install a bigger Air Cleaner and that vaccuum tree is just interfering so Is there anyway to replace the vacuum tree with something else?

·
Registered
380 Posts
it appears the problem preventing you from installing a larger air cleaner is the large line that exits up and over to the brake booster. see if you can find a tree where all the "branches" are perpendicular to the "trunk". my 70 has a tree like this on the intake manifold with just two horizontal branches. one small one is capped off. the other large one goes back to the real "tree" on the firewall. from there all the vacuum is distributed to the rest of the systems that require vacuum - booster, headlights, trannie, heater/a/c control, etc. your "tree" that has the large line exiting out the top of the tree vertically is bogus. see what you can find from West Coast Classic Cougar website.

here is a link to the part for my car. couldn't find one for yours, but you can email the guys at WCCC and see if it will work for you as well. you would need this tree and another one for the firewall-
http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/d0zz-9a474-a.html

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
If there's a good hardware store in your area, you can probably find a 45 or 90 degree fitting that'll allow the vacuum tree to lay over enough to give you the clearance you'll need.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys,

Today I got everything the way I wanted. I was able to find en extra Vacuum tree in my fathers garage that is a perfect fit

DSCF2334.jpg
DSCF2335.jpg

BEFORE
DSCF2312.jpg

AFTER
DSCF2333.jpg

I still have a long way to go anyways THANKS 4 all your answers and suggestions!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts