Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new master cylinder and brake booster this weekend and in the area I noticed two parts that I have no ideaa what they are.

The first is definitely something having to do with the brakes, it's kind of hard to describe but it's attached to the engine compartment right behind the wheel well in the back corner. It had a brake line going in and one coming out and I could tell that it had been leaking, though very slowly because I've never really had a problem with losing brake fluid.

The other thing was right next to it, long and rectangular and had about 8 different things going in and out of it, 4 on top and 4 on the bottom. I couldn't tell if they were brake lines, vacuum hoses, or what. Any help identifying these would be great, more for my own personal knowledge.

While I'm thinking about it...I'm looking to get a repair manual for my 68XR7...something that might help me identify these kinds of things and what they do. I have a Chilton's manual for my wife's Saturn, but I was hoping you guys might have some advice on the best one of our cats.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Without seeing them, I will guess that the long thing with all the tubes is your brake distribution block - distributes brake fluid to the wheels and has a brake pressure differential warning switch built into it.
The other thing sounds like the pressure equalizer valve for disk brakes.
Can you post any pics?

Best bet for a repair manual is the Ford Shop Manual. Should be available from Jim Osborne (http://www.osborn-reproduction.com/) or on eBay.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I aree with that, probably distribution block and a proportioning valve.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
cugrrr1969 said:
...proportioning valve.
Thank you!
For the life of me I couldn't come up with the correct name! :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
For the life of me I couldn't come up with the correct name!
Any time. I just took a brake system class last semester so I remembered it fairly easily. Ask me in 6 months and I'll probably look at you like your speaking jibberish. lol:D

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
They generally don't go bad and they are not that easy to find or that cheap either. If you are not losing fluid, the car seems to be braking evenly (front and rear) and the brake light is not staying on I wouldn't mess with them. JMO.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't mess with them unless you are experiencing problems. The best thing you can do for your brake system is to flush it about every 2-3 years. Brake fluid absorbs moisture out of the air and no matter how tightly sealed the system is, it can't be perfect. This causes corrosion to begin on the inside and if you look at your fluid it may be cloudy or a dark color which would indicate it definitely needs to be flushed.

P.S. If the pressure differential switch in the distribution block goes bad or gets set and your brake light comes on then you might want to get a new one. Sometimes on older vehicles, once you have a problem that activates that switch it may not return to the normal mode once the problem is fixed. But it doesn't seem like you are having any problems with it yet so I wouldn't worry about it.

T

·
0 Posts
Haynes should have a decent manual, i'm looking into ordering one for my cat, the local auto parts store doesn't carry it. They're right about the part. The part isn't likely to go bad, the leak is probaly from the line itself at the connection. w/ age those lines can rust and begin to leak, i have to replace a bunch on my cat

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good...I don't like replacing things if I don't have to, same goes for the wife :)

When I took out the old master cylinder all the fluid was all black and cloudy, so I flushed the system and now there's all new fluid running through it.

Yeah, I should probably look in to replacing some of the lines.

Another question regarding my power booster...the one I had in it I believe was a Bendix Single Diaphragm booster (the only external thing that I noticed differentiates it is the vaccum hose connector has one pointing towards the engine and another pointing straight up). The new one I got from Napa has a vaccum connector that has 3 connections, which looks like the Bendix Dual Diaphragm Booster in the manual I checked out from the library. It has one pointing away from the engine, one straight up, and one straight out.

Does anyone know if this makes a difference? My cars brakes seem to be doing fine, though I've only been driving it for two days since I finished all the work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts