Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Im wondering how to remove the chrome from my cougar grill im wanting to black it out like the Eliminators.
Thanks
Aaron

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Media blasting or sandblast it from a cabinet with low pressure so you don`t warp the ribs.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I wouldn't worry about trying to remove it. By the time you blast it enough to take the chrome off, you will damage the potmetal. I would just blast it enough to clean it and etch it a little. Thats all I did with mine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used a dremel tool with a medium grit sandpaper roll. Took some time, but it got all of the pitting smoothed over and roughed up the chrome enough that the Rustoleum all-surface satin black spray adhered pretty good:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I wouldn't worry about trying to remove it. By the time you blast it enough to take the chrome off, you will damage the potmetal. I would just blast it enough to clean it and etch it a little. Thats all I did with mine.
What Mike said, and use SEM Trim Black paint, it is self-etching and will adhere to chrome even if you do not rough it up. Self etching paint is what was used originally and what people use on the grille, tail light grilles and the like with good results.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
No prep here other than clean it with a soft bristle brush and soap. Used a satin black and it came out great.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Aaron,

How are these pics comming?? Would like to see the car, i been doing a lil buying from chris from this 70 as well.Pretty soon ill be buying the bulk of what i need.Over the winter im going to start doing some bodywork to my 70.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello pat, Its doing good I got a fender and a door done ,pulling the motor saturday, its got Mallory ignition, Edlebrock torker 2 intake, its bored .30 over, Racing pistons and a Comp camshaft and maybey stroked. This all came with the car haha.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Im hoping in november im going to pick up a 4 bolt 351c from a fellow member here.Been nursing this left leg of mine for almost 6 months.I am going back to work october 3rd so i can get money comming back into my accounts so i can take care of these loose ends i owe people.I just want to get my 70 done within 2 years so i can enjoy it like i use to when i was when i started driving it.Should look good once its done.Your car should look great once done.what color are you deciding on painting it??

thanks
pat

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well goodluck!! and Competition Orenge im gona black out the grill and tailight chrome, also im gona put mag wheels on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts