Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I'm going get my first car here in the next couple of weeks, and the used car dealer has a 2000 mercury cougar v6 with 133k miles on it, I got in and test drove it today, I don't know too much about cars but the motor was strong, and the transmission seemed good, it didnt kick or slip, and the gear switching was smooth, but guys I went and looked up reviews for this car, and this car is said too be absolutely horrible with repairs, and mechanical issues, for you guys with this car, do you consistently have problems with them,and to repair its costly,what major repairs have you guys had to do if any? I'm only 18 and I can't be forking out 150 bucks a month for repairs, sorry for the long paragraph, but thanks too all of you that have read it.
:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
This website is mainly dedicated to the older Cougars from the 1960's and 1970's.

For that last generation cougar a better website for you to check might be http://www.newcougar.org/forums/forum.php

That said, my wife had a 2000 Cougar V6 for a couple of years, and we didn't have any trouble with it, but we sold it before it had 50k miles in 2003 when we bought the Lightning. another 80k miles, and 7 years might be a different story.

I hated that Cougar because the seats were uncomfortable, and it was a pain to change the oil without making a mess.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My Mom bought a 2001 Cougar V-6 new. It's now got about 50K on it; she drives it lightly but regularly, with the occasional long trip. Not one thing has ever gone wrong, and everything still works/runs/looks great. The only maintenance work it's had are the brake pads, tires, oil/lube, and battery. Even the original belts and hoses still look great.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was in love with my first manual which was a '99 with over 75,000 miles. It had Eibach coil-overs with a 2" drop all the way around, 18" Konig "Holes" rims, limo tint, aftermarket sunroof, cold air intake, headers, and I wished I had never gotten rid of it mainly because it was almost paid off.

My dealership wanted around $300 for an alternator change because of the labor needed to remove the intake manifold. Needless to say, I did it myself with a rachet and a lot of extensions. So, I guess repairs can add up if you pay someone labor, but if you check that new cougar site you will find a community of dedicated owner's near you with years of experience to help.

There's a neat function you can unlock in the LCD display (odometer readout) where you can view your speed/rpms/volts/etc... in a digital format. Let me know if you get that Cougar and I'll tell you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts