Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I can;t get the hood closed. Anyone have a tip to get the hood down one last time?. I'll go get some new hinges , but if I can atleast get the hood down so I can move the car that would really help!. Looks like they've locked up or something?. Any tricks?. HELP!!!!!..thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Try some spray white lithium or WD40 and kind of start pulling the hood kinda side to side to start. If you feel it it start to loosen then you can start working it up and down a little bit at a time. Just keep working it and don't get in to big of a hurry.

·
Registered
156 Posts
IF you are going to install new hinges why don't you simply remove the 4 bolts holding the hood? You'll have to take it off to replace the hinges anyway.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
IF you are going to install new hinges why don't you simply remove the 4 bolts holding the hood? You'll have to take it off to replace the hinges anyway.
i agree with this!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Try pushing the hood rearward as you close.

~After a few drops of oil on the hinge pivots.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
If you do need new hinges see if WCCC or Johns Cougars has good used ones, the "new" chinese one fold like a cardboard cereal box! Hopefully you can just clean these up, grease 'em and re-align them.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Lots of WD40 sprayed with the straw attachment into all of the hinge pins. Leave it a bit then few drops of oil.

Be careful. I did this on my 77 hinges and I just about slammed the hood through the support because it was so free

1 - 8 of 8 Posts