Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I do not know Cougar values that much - and I sure dont want to be upside down. But Im considering this car. It looks nice, I really like the look. But its a std.

I like 69's and prefer non vinyl tops. Would prefer a 4 speed and a/c tho, which this car does not have either.

I know peeps prefer XR7's. What year is most valuable / desirable (67-70)?

Does his price seem out of line?

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/3313070752.html

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
They are rarely as clean as they are made out to be but my first impression from the pics was very nice car. Of course I'm very partial to the color :) IMO if it's as clean underneath is it appears on the rest of the car in the pics I think the price is fair market value. Get some other opinions though I haven't been watching sales as close as I used to.

Just FYI, I call shennanigans on the 375 HP :) Takes a bit of work to get near the 400 range. Certainly more than a cam and and intake. I got $10 that says it's closer to 275-300 at the wheels. Really need some worked or aftermarket heads to open it up to 1:1 cubes to HP in my opnion. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong though :)

Good luck and buy it or not it's a great looking beast.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I agree, the fact that it doesn't need any body work makes it a pretty good price in my mind. Nice interior (decor?) too. Take it for a drive, and see how the engine is in it....

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If that car is real and in the shape it looks like I would say a very fair price. Actually a good deal!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Cragar Super Tricks? I haven't seen those in years.

Decor interior without a remote mirror, interesting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update! I just got back from looking at the car. It seemed very nice for the price. Im not picking it apart, because it pretty much looked like the pics, but here are the negatives.

It has a small amout of bubbling by the windshield and rear window trim. Very small bubbling, smaller than a pencil, but its the preview of whats to come. The door and quarter windows need new seals bad, and the drivers door window is WAY out of alignment. The paint looks great, even from 2 feet, but you can see overspray on things you should not see like window seals, door jam dome light switchs, etc. Just something I think should have been neater. But then again, this is a 8500 car, not a 18500 car.

The underside seemed very solid. Great floors, great frame rails, the torque boxes had the slight bit of swelling at the rear seam - not bad at all tho. It was not super clean underneath, but not bad at all. Minimal issues. I did wipe a good amount of rust chunks off the torque boxes at the rear shelf. Undercoated tho so it may be hiding a little more than meets the eye. Ran my finders around the wheel lips and didnt feel buildup of bondo or anything.

Needs a little interior work, rear seat lower had 1 split, and buckets, and door arm rests. Headliner was fine.

Car ran great - had a hard time starting cold but it was a fuel issue, once started, ran great. I drove it 10 miles or so. Ran perfect! NO, its not 375hp...lol. Felt more like 225hp to me! Shifted great, ran great, everything was great except very loose steering.

Thats about it - there is the review!! I didnt jump - maybe Im crazy. Hes pretty firm, will lower a tad, but nothing less than 8k. I probably should have jumped. The small bubbles in the paint bothered me. I just dont want rust holes to deal with in a few years. Thats not a cheap fix if u need a whole repaint. Im sure it has a little bondo here or there, but nothing stood out as bad. I'm probably being picky for 8k tho.

I think its a car that will be fine for a nice driver for years but eventually will need that once over (torque boxes, a little body work, and paint), and when that happens, open the wallet....lol.

I need to sleep on it. Im just starting to think hard about the Cougars vs my Mustang basket case which I'd sell if I buy a Cougar. Hope this helps answer any questions! Its a sweet looking ride!!

Now what do you guys think????

btw - heres another one that looks even cleaner, 1 hour farther away (I have not looked at this one in person but being a cali car, its prob solid) - but I really like the orange better than the red.....

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3287622445.html

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Hard saying from the pics but I agree that the red one looks a bit nicer in color and condition but it's hard to say. I think both are slightly on the high side when you look at ones that have been selling on ebay - but you are in the 5k-8k range. I'd go look at the red one for surel Show him the printout of the orange one and say you like it but price is leaning you to the orange one for "similar" condition.....might open up the bargaining a bit if he truly wants to sell. Either car looks pretty nice from the pics though. But paint hides many things! bubbles are indicators of pretty deep happenings - so take it into consideration. Around the windows/under the vinyl/and leaky cowls are very common....trunk drop offs/torque boxes/upper inner fenders....looks for cracks in shock towers near the bottom edges inside

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Did you get the door tag information for the database?

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
The red car looks a lot better. I would follow Bad Cats advice and go for that one for sure. Its the details, XR7, wheels, chrome, motor, interior, COLOR, hey I like red,lots of expensive goodies.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
I forgot to mention, I hate those yellow wires!

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 2 cents. The red one is a better investment, judging by options and looks. Looks to have been treated a little better over the years, And really when your looking to invest in a classic, whats a 2000 dollar difference. Hell go check out the red one, drive it, offer him 8.5 cash :)

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Did you see the swelling on the red one where all four aprons meet the shock towers? Not a deal breaker but you can be for sure that is not the only place. I think you are being wise, sit back and the right Western car will come to you at the right price. Put lots of wanted ads on our site, here and CL, lots of folks will not write an ad but they will answer one... I got a GORGEOUS original paint 68 xr7 with a wanted ad here, from the East Coast (was originally a Western car) for under $10k.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hey JWS, good luck on your quest, :beer: I'm gonna ditto Don on this, sit back and wait for the right car, other wise IMHO the ownership experience will always be a little short. But your doing the right thing posting pic's for the experts to point out the items they see, tons of knowledge here. There is nothing like owning a classic cat :smoke:

·
Registered
508 Posts
If the red xr7 was at $8500. or 9k it would deserve a trip for further investigation. When you mentioned overspray in the jambs and what naught on the orange standard ......the first thought that popped into my head was of, lipstick on a pig......That's a tell-the-tale sign of less than careful restoration workmanship. :uhoh: If you have already purchased the car.....ignore the pig comment. But, I could be wrong.... might be a great car with a hurried paint job. Elec/fuse and steering problems also.....hummmm! At photo assessment of the standard, plus your observations, I'm thinking $6250. and they can keep the Super Tricks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Did anyone else notice the XR7 emblems on the rear roof pillar of the red/red XR7 seemed to be out of place, they seem kind of high.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks guys! You guys are a lot of help - its much appreciated. I passed on the orange car. I think the bubbling paint scared me mostly, and the bottom being "not bad" but not awesome. Sorry I didnt think about getting the door tag info - Ill keep that in mind on my other cars I look at.

I whole heartedly agree 2k is nothing if it gets you a much nicer car! I want a SUPER SOLID car. I dont do body work and cant seem to swallow the cost involved in getting it done for me.

Im going to wait. Be paitent. I'll keep looking. In the mean time, I am trying to figure out what my perfect cougar would be. Im thinking super solid driver. Comp orange 69, no vinyl top, no vert, 351 M code, 4 speed with a/c would be cool. Eliminator even cooler. Would LOVE a 69 orange Eliminator 4 spd 351, but should prob just clone the stripes and spoiler/scoop cause I'd slightly mod the car anyway. I guess 4 spd isnt a must because Id probably change it to a 5 spd with hyd clutch so I could to that to an auto car. Could put in Vintage air too. I have a 69 stang a/c lower dash and a manual pedal assy. Im in no hurry, I just moved and have 6 months of "to do" list on the new house, and winter is coming anyway.

Im seriously thinking about bailing out on my 69 Mustang fastback, I just cant seem to grasp sinking 30+k into the build if I can buy a NICE cougar for 10-12k.

If you guys know of one like above, yell. Is that super hard to find?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Factory three pedal cougars are very hard to find, in my experience. I've only seen two 67's, and right this second, I can't recall any 69 or 70 cars. By seen, I mean in person. The five speed is a great upgrade, I'm getting ready to put one in my 69 as well.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That 68 Don has in mind may be worth the trip if it's what you'd want! I think it would fit the bill for any cat lover! Your going to find the cats much more affordable than a similar Pony for sure. There is a powder blue 69 vert (auto) in a car lot not to far from me (Fits Don's chick mobile profile pretty well) but I didn't go back and ask about it since I have to many projects and I am not a fan of the color......it was in VERY good shape. Thiel Motors in Dewitt Iowa if anybody is interested.....I'll post it in the for sale section in case somebody might be.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For some reason I am stuck on the 69's - just like the look I guess. I called the guy and declined on his voicemail. Today he laft me a message that $7600 would take it, but no lower. Im still going to pass tho. I guess Id rather wait for a super solid car (in a nice color) and be patient till it comes along. Like you guys suggested! Thanks all!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts