Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '68 with a 390 and AC and PS. The engine was partially disassembled when I got it, so that putting it back together is like a puzzle.
I do not have the alternator pulley or the crank pulley and don't know the part numbers. I am pretty sure that I can find the parts at a salvage yard if I have the numbers. Some people tell me that the alternator has 1 sheave and some say 2 sheaves.
I realize that this is a little ridiculous, but I know that someone here can give me the answers.
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I just got done reinstalling my smog pump last night and I can only tell you that the alt. is a single. I'll crawl under and see if any #'s are visible... I really don't feel like pulling everthing apart again, being a 390 as you know very little room...
Jon

·
11,000 Posts
Tom,

Your alternator should be a single, the water pump a double and crank pulley a triple.

The alternator pulley was gold anodized and marked with an ink stamped part number originally. It usually comes on a rebuilt alternator.

Water pump pulley is marked C6AE 8509-A and has both grooves 5 3/4" diameter.

Crank pulley is marked C8AE 6312-A and has the two rear groves 7 1/4" and the front groove 6" diameter.

I have extra examples of each. If you strike out at the wrecking yard give me an email at [email protected]

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Jon. My car does not have a smog pump but I don't know if that makes a difference.
By the way, mine is a "G" also and I hope to have it running this summer. The pictures of yours are awesome.
Tom

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Royce, thank you. That should take care of my problem. That is what makes this such a great site. I will let you know if I need the parts.
Tom

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Thank's Tom, Good luck with that G. Post some pic's if you can. And there was no doubt Royce would have the answer. Royce let me know when your first book come's out, I'll be the first in line to buy it...... Thank's Jon

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pictures

OK, Jon. I posted some progress pictures. The engine is being rebuilt and should be back in a couple of weeks. I still have to reinstall the interior but want to drive it this year. I am getting excited.
Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts