Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the problem, my harmonic balancer on my 351C won't go on all the way - it looks as though the snout that goes around the end of the crank is hitting the timing sprocket and not allowing me to pull balancer all the way up. Could it possibly be the fact that I have a double roller timing chain?
Any answers or suggestion would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Cody:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
your chain has nothing to do with it. Is there maybe a burr on your crank or balancer, or the key way slipped.

Rick

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
The lower sprocket on your timing set had a chamfer on one of the inner (crank) bore edges. This chamfer must be installed to the rear, otherwise the crank gear will not go all the way back. There is a radius on the crank that gets in the way unless the chamfer side of the gear is to the rear. Of course, you wouldn't have a timing mark on the backside of the gear either, so you wouldn't see the mark when you tried lining up the marks when you installed the chain. This is a rarely seen problem for that reason.

Other than that, there realy is not anything that usually goes wrong. Maybe a burr or nick on the crank, or a woodruff key slipped out of place.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is not the woodruff, I couldn't get it to slip with a 23oz hammer and a punch. I also didn't see any burrs. I'm thinking that the problem migh be the balancer its self. Inside surface of the balancer has two different diameters the larger one being closest to the block, these two diameter a slight but noticable. I think that the end of the crank might be stopping where the diameter changes.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulled the front cover off, and the balancer is pulling up against the timing sprocket. What is confusing me about this whole ordeal is that the water pump pulley won't line up with any of the grooves on the crank pulley. That is why I thought that the balancer wasn't fitting right. The crank pulley is a 3 groove pulley, the engine originally had A/C and P/S. I did away with the A/C.

How are the belts routed? Are the Alt. and Water pump on the same belt, with P/S being driven by its own belt?

Thanks,
Cody

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i THINK that the water pump pulley also has the alternator belt running on it. the PS and Alternator have just one belt on them and the crank has 3 grooves in it. one for the PS, Alternator and AC. thats if i remember right....

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a cleveland in my 68 and if I remember correctly the PS is alone and the H2O and the ALT is the other. don't quote me my car is in IL and I'm on vacation in Louisiana...I hope I'm right

·
Registered
488 Posts
cleveland pulley combos

cleveland pulleys are odd. the power steering goes around the water pump and crank. the alternator just goes around the crank. i think the power steering is the back groove and the water pump pulley is very deep. if you have switched the water pump pulley to an earlier style (65-69 small block) nothing will line up. hawkrod

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys. I'm begining to wonder if the guy I bought the engine off of put a different pulley on the water pump, the groove is about 1/2"-3/4" closer to the block than the back groove on the crank? I thinking I should run to a junk yard and start comparing pulleys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts