Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all i as of yet do not have a cougar but i am hunting for one.
this car was posted and its actually pretty close to me, and i was wondering what you guys think. any input would be greatly appreciated. as of yet i have not seen the car . are there anythings i should look for as i have never owned a old couger b4.thanks for your help here is some info i got from the owner. its a 302 w/ 4barrel. the vin numbers says thats the correct motor and xr7 hardtop.here is owners info...asking 7500.00 neg

I am the 2nd owner of this fabulous XR7. The first owner is a retired schoolteacher who garaged and babied it from 1968-2000. It suffered a minor scrape in a parking lot back in 1968 which resulted in a slight color mismatch on the paint of the passenger side door (hardly noticable unless scrutinized). Other than this scrape, the vehicle has never been in an accident. The original owner also kept logs of every oil change, all work preformed, all routine upkeep and even the mileage at every fueling (including cost of gassing up) for 30 years! I also have original owners manual, sale receipt and other misc paperwork. Proof of how well cared for this vehicle has been.

The paint on this car is original and shines like you wouldn't believe! There are a few minor dings and scratches, but as you can see from the photos, she is in REMARKABLE shape considering the original body and paint!

The vehicle is all orignal, except for:

mint leather interior (completely original looking, replaced after stolen from mechanic's shop in 1996)

new tires and rims

fuel tank & sender

rear shocks and spring helpers

dual muffler exhaust system (Flowmasters...not too loud)

universal joint replaced

voltage regulator, condenser and points

new battery, new brakes, new headlamps

new fule pump, carburetor, filters, etc...

Of course, I have kept a folder of receipts and a log of all work performed on vehicle since I came into ownership of it. I too kept the car garaged and babied for the past 2 years. I recently transported the car to New York since I've moved to the east coast. She is presently stored at a relatives home in Belle Harbour, Queens, New York until she sells. She is not being driven except for every 2 weeks to keep her warm and fuzzy.

The car is clean and runs wonderfully. My mechanic in Santa Clara California (Mustang Ranch) says that she'll get another 100K miles out of her engine if she continues to receive the same TLC. I can arrange a conversation with that mechanic is you are truly interested. Mustang Ranch is an exclusive Mustang Muscle Shop (www.mustangranch.org) where she has received any work done to her for the past 7 years or so. This car could be a show car if you put very little work into her.

www.blwn5spd.com/cougar.html?1039576052871

·
Registered
889 Posts
First welcome aboard!Second sounds like a great car.I would still check the floor boards and the bottom 1/4s in the trunk.And dump a bucket of water in the cowel and see if it leaks inside.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Welcome!

Sounds like you found a real cherry of a cougar there...
Bottom line is always this, will you enjoy the car if you buy it? If so then you cant go wrong...
as for the price, you have to make that decision, I will always try to haggle, but I have missed some good deals because of it also.
Welcome to the site, see you around.
shane:D

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
There's nothing nicer than getting a car with a full service history, I think it counts a lot in the car's favour, also the fact that you can contact the folks who worked on it, shows the owner has nothing to hide, just my 0.0000002c worth [our economy sucks]

Just looked at the picture, lovely looking cat.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Where I'm from, we don't like red. Fades out too fast, but should be a nice color for a cooler climate. Definately looks good. Place it in some shows if ya get it. Mine's goin in the local show in '04.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
welcome aboard looks like a nice cat and turn key as well. sounds like a great driver that you can enjoy right away and have a good time with. its always easier to start with a really nice car buying just over what you can afford less work goes into making it the one of your dreams or a close facsimile of. enjoy the cat and good luck. Make sure you register it with phil parcels at the CCOA site if you do buy it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts