Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi mercury cougar net members,
New guy here. Not much exciting about me, but I think my Cougar is Cool 馃槑.
My friend call me Klau, and Ford calls my car a Mercury Cougar, 1968, XR7 GT.
Comes with factory 4 speed and factory AC.
I鈥檝e had my car for over 30 years, rebuilt engine about 20 years ago along with lots of other updates, all stock OEM or rebuilds. Then it mostly sat in my garage while I raised kids and sent them off to college, etc. It has about 5k miles since the engine rebuilt all those years ago. I鈥檝e spent my garage time working to keep 2 old (20 yrs!) f150鈥檚 going until college expenses decrease. Which is basically now!
At this point my GT is like a barn find but found in my own garage. I鈥檝e drained the fuel system, taken brake system apart, etc. I鈥檓 sure most of you are much better mechanics than I am, so have mercy on me. I need more help than I鈥檒l admit!
Right now, a diagram of the internal parts of the Midland- Ross brake booster would be helpful.
And if you鈥檝e ever sent in a Holley carb for rebuild I鈥檇 be interested to know how it turned out, and maybe who did it for you.
Thanks, and I really enjoy reading the threads on the forum. My problem is, I go there to look up specific info and end spending a hour going off on a tangent thread. It鈥檚 all good!
Klau

Premium Member
Another good place to be is at Classic Cougar Community. It has far more activity then this forum does. Good luck with the resurrection of you Cougar GT.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Another good place to be is at Classic Cougar Community. It has far more activity then this forum does. Good luck with the resurrection of you Cougar GT.
Thanks for the tip Badcatt, I鈥檒l check out CCC.
Happy Trails

Registered
If you have not done so, you can register your VIN and possibly join the Cougar Club Of America. There are many regional clubs as well. Check it out.

Registered
I agree with badcatt. The CCC forum is a little more robust but either Forum should help you. I also have a 1968 XR7 GT but with an automatic that is close to final restoration. Sometimes it is hard to find information on the S code 390 that is very specific. The Lincoln Mercury Master Parts Catalog final edition (1975) has some errors in it. But if you are confused with anything you can post a question and someone probably has the answer. I found it easier to purchase a new rebuilt Midland Booster rather than trying to rebuild it myself. I understand it is not easy if you have no experience in booster rebuilds. The 1968 Shop Manual for the Cougar, Fairlane, Falcon, Montego and Mustang has been super helpful. Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts