Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

i just found this place and it looks good!
this is what i need help on, my fiero just died,
and i found a old 67 cougar ($1,000) that needs som body work like has surface rust and some rust near the doors and wheelwells, it has a rebuilt engine with a beefy cam, intearior is in fair condition and has a couple tares in the front seats.
my question is, when i go look at the car in person what should i look for and what should i stay away from? also its a 302 automatic, will a 302 light up the tires?(smokey burn out):D
thanks alot and i love all of the cars here.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It depends....

on what work you are willing to put into the 67. For $1000 there will certainly be some work required (unless you get real lucky!!)Check the floor pans and cowl for rust damage. These are two areas that are expensive to repair unless you can do it yourself, then its a matter of a lot of hours :rolleyes: One test for the cowl area is to put water into the vents just below the windshield. The water should drain near the back of the front wheel. If water gets into the interior...then you got work ahead of you. As for lighting the tires...it depends on the condition of the engine, rear axle ratios, etc. The original engine was probably a 289. Don't forget that it is basically the same engine as in the current mustang!! (302 = 5L). But don't pass up a 67 cougar even if it can't light them up!!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
welcome aboard! ok first of all look for the typical old car stuff.... rust being a main one. look around the front and rear windshields, the lower 1/4 Panels, the bottom of the doors and basically anywhere on the lower part of the body. look in the engine compartment, examine the shock towers and look for any signs of wrinkles or any body filler. that would help see if the car has had a hard hit in its life. dont forget to look under the car for hole filled floors. all under the car should just be given a look over. rust is probably the main concern. ummm, see if the sequintal lights work, the headlight motors ( neither is a big deal if they dont work, but still...... ) look at the alignment of the body panels too. if the engine is rebuilt, then you may save cash there. feel the carpet under the dash on the passengers side as well, if its wet after a test drive or feels like its been wet and is all crusty... then the heater core may be leaking and trust me, thats not fun to replace. ask yourself what you plan to do with the car as well. do you plan to restore it to stock shape?? modify it?? just have a decent driver?? there are many ways to build a car like this, and only you can tell if thats a good price for the car. personally it sounds like a good deal to me. a running Cougar for 1000 isnt that bad. esp if its a good runner. and oh yeah, i cant forget the important stuff............... the 302 will make a nice smokie :D vroom _____(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((O-o ( thats a burnout lol )

·
Registered
168 Posts
(smokey burn out)

Yep I have a 68 and when it was stock it would do good for a 2v, but even if it don't it don't take much to get it to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts