Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody! I just happened onto this site a while ago and decided to introduce myself. I have a '68 Cougar XR7 GT S Code that I have had since 1988. The car has only 91 K miles, but has been sitting since the early 90's in my garage. I hope to be done with some of my other projects (A few Torinos, F100 Bumpside) soon, so as to finish up this car - finally.

Just wanted to say hello!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Hello and welcome. Don't forget to visit classiccougarcommunity.com as well.

Also, GOT ANY PICS?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Welcome to the forum. X2, what Jeff said about pics. John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try to get some in a week or two. It is covered by all kinds of stuff and is sitting next to my '76 Torino (which is also covered with junk!). It was originally Gold with the Parchment interior and a black top. Earl Scheib painted it for the original owner in 1976 (orangy Bronzish color) and I re-did the interior in Black in 1991. It has air, full console, PS, PDB, 9 inch. Engine and transmission were rebuilt right before I got it.

If anyone is interested, here is how I got it.

A friend of mine and I were over at my aunt's house in 1986 just standing in her yard talking to my cousins. The guy diagonally across the street was out in his yard working on the Cougar when his kid came home. Kid gets out of his mom's car and asks the dad why he is fixing the Cougar up anyhow. Dad replies that he is giving it to him for his 16th birthday the following week and could not contain it any longer. Now, our group is probably standing about 100 feet away, so we are hearing everything pretty clearly. Kid just looks and says that he "don't want that old car. He wants a truck". Dad is yelling, kid is yelling, all of us are just watching to see what happens. The dad yells "FINE, I'll run an ad and sell it to the first person with the cash". HA! We wait until the kid goes in and the dad calms down and walk across the street. My buddy asks what he will take and asks forgiveness for eavesdropping, dad says $1,500 cash will buy it right now to get it out of his sight. My buddy bought it 30 minutes later. The dad was a district Ford rep and had sent everything (engine, transmission) sent off to Ford to be rebuilt so that he could get his discount and keep everything original. Rear end was rebuilt locally, new brakes and suspension, and he was the original owner. All paperwork was included. My friend knows very little about cars, so he calls me 2 years later to ask if I will give him $500 for it. Sure. I drove it home, parked it in my garage, then drove it to my new house in 1991. Never started it again until 2006. I get it running, smoking like a tar kettle. Decided to shut it off, figuring I broke a ring or two from sitting so long. Have not started it since. I have been debating on installing a modular setup with a T56 to get better driveability and better mileage. Keep the original parts, but go a different direction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts