Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a relay that when it has no power on the activation side 12v passes through one terminal and when power is applied the relay throws and passes the 12v through a different terminal. I get confused when talking dpdt spdt ect. This is for an electric headlight motor conversion and all I need to do is switch the 12v from one wire to another. The headlight motors themselves contain all other relays, travel limits, etc. I intend to use the original 12v feed to the vacuum switch as the trigger to the relay. Of course a circuit breakerprotected battery feed to the switchable side of the relay. This way lights and covers will activate from the original switch. From some of the conversions I have seen they seem to add multiple relays that seem redundant to my needs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I just did mine I used the same power feed as you worked out great. You can use any type 5 pin relay the problem I found was getting a harness for the relay advance/autozone said they didnt have them. I picked some up on ebay but If you have a pull a part around you be easy to grab the harness and relay for a few bucks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-40A-5-pin-RELAY-5-WIRE-SOCKET-HARNESS-SPDT-Car-HID-Headlights-Fog-Lights-etc-/130627261162?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e69fdd2ea

I only used one relay for both motors Im not sure about built in relays what type of motors you using?
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e69fdd2ea

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think they are Nissan. the relays on the motors are travel limit relay so that they stop at 180 degrees for up and down. Apply 12v to one wire it goes 180 and stops. Apply 12v to different wire goes another 180 and stops.

In my initial playing around to wire them I had them going in an endless cycle of up and down! Would have had a winking Cat! lol

·
Registered
667 Posts
The Cycle is the same as a probe motor..If the cycle wont stop at 180 could be a ground or its wired wrong Im not really sure with your motors having built in relays.But You shouldnt have to switch power feeds to cycle the motors the head light switch should control that. Sorry cant be more help

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Cycle is the same as a probe motor..If the cycle wont stop at 180 could be a ground or its wired wrong Im not really sure with your motors having built in relays.But You shouldnt have to switch power feeds to cycle the motors the head light switch should control that. Sorry cant be more help
I got the continually running part figured out some time back. The relay you linked me to is what I need. I found a great site that explained relay operation and got it figured out now. http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp Thanks for your help and link.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts