Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if your even doing your job by stopping by and actually reading about the demise of this site since your company took over?

Have you looked at the decline of viewers visits?

Did you even really mean to buy a Cougar or was that more "sales pitch" BS?

You can continue to do nothing and this site will die...

Your competition has shown it cares, DO YOU????????????

I challenge you to respond!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
It's the sound O' crickets Bill. Bang-up job 'round here. Bang-up job. Been by the new site yet? You can post, and no one deletes it! Crazy way to run a forum I know, but..... I'll be dipped iffin' it dont seem to be working!

·
Registered
418 Posts

Soon there won't be anyone but the tumbleweeds at least they are easier to Mod.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

Soon there won't be anyone but the tumbleweeds at least they are easier to Mod.
AND!!! They "move on" without needing "prodding". Just wait til the old wind whips up, and there go those annoying tumbleweeds.

·
Registered
389 Posts
honestly, if its so bad to cause someone to take time out of their own life to post this thread, why even come back here? just do as said above, move on. go to one of the oh so fabulous sites and live life.

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
I understand your point, but there are things you have to realise.

Yes, there are other sites, which are great, we all use them to one extent or another.
I haven't been around there recently, been having internet problems, and suffered a maHOOsive computer failure. :klo:

However, this is pretty much the one which started it all.
I've been around here for nearly 7 years, and folks have been around here for a LONG time before me.

It used to be the first place many of us would check when we logged on.

Now, personally, it's ages between my visits.

Problem is that there's a feeling among many users that admin just don't care about the site. It's all about numbers, advertising revenue and clicks. If they don't care about the site, then they don't care about the hobby, and they certainly don't care about us.
One of the most recent site sponsors doesn't even sell anything for our cars, and organises shows that very few of us are likely to attend.
While I don't have a problem with them directly, that sends a clear message that admin are doing what's right for them, not for the good of the community.

Many of the folks who are voicing their complaints are some of the most active, most knowledgable, and most well respected members of the Cougar community.

Oh, and CougarBill too. :toung:
(just kidding Bill, see you at Cougar 50 ? ) :beer:

The advice to stop moaning and go to other sites is counter productive.
If all the knowledge leaves, then the site has no future.

All the folks want is reassurance that somebody is actually listening, there are things that folks are not happy with, but admin are sleeping partners and completely AWOL.

Many people care very deeply about this site, they have put a great deal of time and effort into keeping it going, and making it what was the best Cougar site.

If the admin don't appear to care enough to engage in dialogue with the site's contributors, then that sends a clear message.
One day, there won't be enough clicks, and all this is gone. POOF !

It'll be closed down and the bandwidth used for ladies to talk about some ridiculous celebrity ****job reality show. ( . ) ( . )
(What ? I can't say B00B anymore ??) :bloated:

It's a preventable situation, but there are a few who feel they are clapping with one hand.

honestly, if its so bad to cause someone to take time out of their own life to post this thread, why even come back here? just do as said above, move on. go to one of the oh so fabulous sites and live life.

·
Registered
389 Posts
while i respect your thoughts, threads like this are what is counterproductive. If i were googling and looking for a site to frequent for a classic cougar and came across this site and one of the first threads i read is like this or one where someone is griping about being banned for not behaving etc...well then im gonna move on. sure there are some who have been around for a long long time. if they feel the grass is greener somewhere else, then move on. no biggie. internet is full of forums like this, choose one you like and no sense loosing sleep or valuable cougar part shopping time for threads like this IMO.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Bravo, Q, bravo!

It hasn't been "one" thing that is the gripe, Barn, it's a culmination of many smaller things that has spawned greater interest in CCC, and the birthing of CCG.net. I challenge YOU to give them a try, you might be pleasantly surprised.

·
1,213 Posts
Dialogue is never counter-productive.
I understand your point about the "banning threads", I missed them, but I guess a controversy brings everyone out of the woodwork.
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and some of them stink.

Tbh, these type of threads would be very short, and much more sociable in nature if our absentee landlords were to respond occasionally.

As I say, I've been off the scene for a bit, so I'm just catching up a little on all the gossip, personally I sit firmly on the fence.
I haven't been involved enough in the site recently to really make an informed comment.
I'm just playing Devil's advocate a little and noting what I've observed.

This place has been a great help to me, and I have "met" a lot of people whom I consider friends, and I don't want it to go downhill.

All that said, it' s always good to hear another perspective. :smoke:

while i respect your thoughts, threads like this are what is counterproductive. If i were googling and looking for a site to frequent for a classic cougar and came across this site and one of the first threads i read is like this or one where someone is griping about being banned for not behaving etc...well then im gonna move on. sure there are some who have been around for a long long time. if they feel the grass is greener somewhere else, then move on. no biggie. internet is full of forums like this, choose one you like and no sense loosing sleep or valuable cougar part shopping time for threads like this IMO.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I've been hanging around this site since the first month of it's inception. Yes, the quality has gone downhill, and quite steadily since Logan moved on to other interests. The other site he started, MercuryMarauder.net, was also sold at the same time and to the same management group. MM.net recently closed down entirely. Some of the more active and knowledgeable MC.netters with a passion for Classic Cougars saw the writing on the wall a while ago and started up the new sites dedicated to Classic Cougars, not bolt-on appearance package (ricer) vendors...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...The other site he started, MercuryMarauder.net, was also sold at the same time and to the same management group. MM.net recently closed down entirely...
Milo,

First, I am not defending the ownership of the site and their non-involvement, I think it sucks.

I was confused when I read a statement like yours above somewhere recently (maybe it was you who wrote it, I dunno, doesn't matter) and so I went and looked around a bit. Then and now, the site seems to be business as usual: http://mercurymarauder.net/. Maybe something went down there but a cursory look didn't turn anything up (and I am not inclined to spend any more time looking). I don't think you would say it if it wasn't true, but do you know what/when, etc...?

Just curious.

Happy Thanksgiving All.

Bob

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I had seen a post on CrownVic.net a week ago about MM.net being down. I went there myself to see, and there was a general announcement on their site, with no access at all to the forums or any other page:

vBulletin Message
We're Damned if we do and Damned if we don't. So, we're all going to take a little Vacation.... ....take a deep breath, and realize that this is a "website" and not Life. MM03MOK MercMan MM2004 RF Overlord
I have no idea what precipitated their shut-down. Maybe someone over there (Moderators, Administrators and Members) could give some ideas. Get the skinny from more than one source so as not to be one-sided.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
First time on this Forum in about a week; mostly came over to see this thread. BarneyFife, if you're happy here good on ya! If it gets too quiet, just look around; there are other Forums (at least three of which I know) that are jam-packed with regular members of this one. Even a couple of this Forum's moderators have been known to appear regularly. That, in and of itself, might be saying something.

You're somewhat new here, you haven't seen how the site 'used to be'; no clue what all is going MIA around here.
But, if you like it as it presently is....... :ylsup:

'Bout all there is to say; going to check a couple other threads to see if they are interesting, then I will take the advice to "...grow up and move on."

·
Registered
170 Posts
If anyone values me as a data point...

I'm a little short of 2 months into my Cougar ownership. I first found this place and thought it ruled, so much to read, so much to learn, so many veteran/guru guys, just great stuff. Then after I bought my Cougar, I started a thread about it, and within two or three pages of that thread's existence, two very cool members of this forum were banned for something one of them said in my thread. I saw a link here to ccc and checked it out, extra resources couldn't possibly be a bad thing to me, and lo and behold I saw those two guys there. And other guys who are also here. And the atmosphere there was more my speed. Great mood. Nice people. Fun. Helpful. All the good stuff.

This site has much more depth of history, and larger membership, and a vastly larger archive that covers everything you can think of though it's maybe not always easy to find it. It's not surprising, the differences between the sites.

I am spending as much time as possible with my Cougar, mostly an even split of driving, working on, and photographing or admiring photographs of her. Love the car. I'm a high tech guy but a noob to cars and though I've been a Classic Mustang fan going back to maybe 1990, I wasn't even aware of Cougars until just a few months ago. This is a classic example though of love at first sight. Instantly recognized the 67/68 Cougar as the best looking car I've ever seen. Still am not aware of anything that compares. In the past couple months I've gone from near 0 experience with working on cars to having replaced my fuel pump, hoses, installed a fuel filter where there was NONE, replaced the disc brake grommets, plug wires and plugs, starter relay/solenoid, got a vacuum gauge mounted in the spot where the clock was but haven't run the line yet, tweaked the idle speed and mix, and most recently pulled the distributor out like an idiot and learned a whole lot in the process, got it back in right and got the timing set correctly again (was already at 6 before I pulled the dist) and have my 50/50 antifreeze/water mix ready to flush and full the radiator before winter kicks in any second now.

The reason for all the details here is because I really think I'm a data point worth minding. New to cars, new to Cougars, *madly* in love with my Cougar, spending every available hour working on her, plenty Internet-savvy as I'm at the right age, all that stuff, I mean this in as objective a way as I'm capable of, but I think I'm a decent representation of the future. If I stay healthy, I've got a good few decades of being a Cougar-lover ahead of me. Ten years from now, I might be the one giving the expert advice. I sure hope so. My long-term goals already have me buying a second Cougar about 3 years from now, when I know a bit more after diving into the suspension and engine/drivetrain head first, a car that needs a ton of work not just a little.

I come here still, much less than initially, maybe every few/several days, and try and pick up what I can. But for my 30-times-a-day Internet Cougar-related reading, I'm checking in at ccc. All my stupid noob questions, I'm posing there and getting my help there. I think that's great, too, because while that site already has the infrastructure and membership and mood all in great order, there isn't nearly enough depth of questions being posed and answered like there is here. And that's what that site really needs. That way, if and when the plug gets pulled on this forum because the Classic Cougar crowd here isn't providing enough click-throughs on the not-relevant banner ads, there will be more substance on the other forum that it's less of a loss. Proactive damage control, if you will. I think that by using my noob questions to help build content over there, I'm also doing what's in the best interest of the long-term future of the Classic Cougar hobby.

I can't imagine a post directed specifically at Bill about the future of the CCC forum going unanswered for very long. He's a busy enough guy, but it's beyond obvious that he's got a fire for the Cougar.

Sorry for the long post. I've seen more than my share of "TLDR" responses. ;)

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I don't get it. Why is there such hate and discontent for this site and recommendations for another site that has, well .... nothing! The speed shop has two topics, both started by me very early this year. The most populous thread is one mostly from some who have accomplished refugee status from here congratulating themselves on moving to such a great site?!?!? Did I miss something here? Or is this all just fallout from the banning for violating rules?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Is there hate for this site? I don't see any hate, just a recognition that "the writing is on the wall" to quote Bob.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am on that site as well as the site www.motorcitymarauders.com There was a big broohaahaa from a member about a vendor who allegedly did not provide the services promised for his Marauder, and so it seems actually might have removed many items and basically severly vandalized his Marauder. This is not the first such claim against this vendor. The thought as to why he is allowed to keep being a vendor is perhaps because he is a part owner too. There were many threads deleted as you can imagine from the admins. Quite a mess. The site was shut down to stop the violence.

I had seen a post on CrownVic.net a week ago about MM.net being down. I went there myself to see, and there was a general announcement on their site, with no access at all to the forums or any other page:

I have no idea what precipitated their shut-down. Maybe someone over there (Moderators, Administrators and Members) could give some ideas. Get the skinny from more than one source so as not to be one-sided.

·
1,213 Posts
Just this.
I see no hate either.

What I do see is people expressing concerns, and the concerns going unanswered.

Is there hate for this site? I don't see any hate, just a recognition that "the writing is on the wall" to quote Bob.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts