Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some opinions. I have installed heddman hedders on my 68 cougar. The instructions say that the exhaust should be supported at both ends and the hedders are not designed to support the weight of the exhaust system. My question is where should I mount a support. I don't want to just start drilling holes in the floor pan. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
:cry:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i believe on my car they are just bolted up to the engine and the exhaust pipes have some of their own brackets hat are welded up to the floor pan further down. in mot aware of another hanger on the headers themselves. i havent had any problems.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
We do alot of custom exhaust work at my shop. It should be supported at both ends for several reasons. It will help with leaks if it is also! A good place to put a front hanger is at the transmission crossmember. You can sometimes (depending on what location the pipes are ran at) use the corssmember bolts to hold up the hanger with also...
Scott

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The crossmember idea sounds great. I will have to try that. Thanks for the help. So far I have had more help here than from the southern california cougar club. That club must be for perfect, rare, unique show cars only.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts