Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What parts are different on a 68 cougar heavy duty
Suspension, compared to a standard suspension?

Scott

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Shocks, springs, and maybe tires/wheels.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
To add to what Scott has listed, it also included a larger diameter front stabilizer bar. On the springs, it was both front and rear and the wheels were 6". The Performance Handling Package was standard on the GT & GT-E and optional at extra cost ($30.64 back in '68) on other models. Also, the difference between the rear springs were the standard had a 85 per inch rate and the heavy duty ones had a 120 & 135 per inch rate (the GT-E received the 135 PIR springs). Found this info in a Cougar: A Source book. John

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I believe the Performance Handling Package came standard on the XR7-G also.
Perhaps, the book I have doesn't list that model unfortunately (it is an older book from 1983). Maybe Royce will chime in and can clarify if it was standard or optional. John

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I believe the Performance Handling Package came standard on the XR7-G also.
I think so too.
Pretty sure that dual exhausts came on all XR7-G's too, even F code 302-2V and X code 390-2V engines.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
My G shows the HD suspension on the Marti. Is there anyone here with a G that does not have it on the Marti Report?

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Royce would be the one to ask this info, but for whats its worth, ALL 4 G's I have and/or have owned (three J-codes, & a S code) have the H-D suspension listed as the last option on the Marti Reports.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts