Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm putting together a heat/defrost system from nothing, so please bear with me. I've got a 68 non a/c heater control panel and a heater box and motor from a 65 Mustang. From what I understand, 95% of the parts are completely the same for non a/c mustangs and cougars between 65 and 68. I've gotten the whole system rebuilt, installed in the car, and operating with the exception of the wiring of the blower motor.

The blower motor has 3 wires- black (which I have grounded on the firewall), orange, and red. I've tested the motor against a battery and gotten orange to be a low speed and red to be a higher speed. I don't know if this is how it is supposed to operate, but that's what happened.

The control panel should be familiar- the blue, red, and black wires.

What goes where? Where does power go to? With non a/c cars, there is no resistor on the heater box like there would be in ac cars, right? Is that part of the control switch itself? I feel 4 posistions in the switch, making me think there is off-low-med-hi... but a seemingly 2 speed fan... What do you think? I'm super excited to finally have heat and defrost after 3 years of cold winters and foggy-windshield-in-the-rain nights.

·
11,000 Posts
There is indeed a resistor on the rear side of the heater box for 1965 - 68 Mustang / Cougar non - AC applications. Look in your copy of the shop manual the schematic is there.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay, I found the resistor at Mustangs Unlimited- advertised as 65-67 3 speed motors. Anyone have one of these apart and know which color wire goes where on the resistor?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sean if you are looking directly at the resistor with the tabs facing you there are 4 tabs.. the one on the lower right, its vertical, goes to the blower motor(yellow wire).. just above that is another vertical one and thats your black wire.. going to the left is a horizontal one and thats your blue wire.. the one on the far left is your red wire.. hope that helps..

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect!!! Thanks so much! I have to go get the correct heater blower apparently. I have the early 65 2 speed part that was wired without a resistor. At least it's pretty easy to get back out. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts