Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I need a little help with the hose routing on my 68 Cougar. It is the 390 GT with Air Conditioning, and I just cannot tell from the shop manual drawing how the heater hoses are routed. Does anyone have any good pictures of these hoses or a diagram that I could follow, especially the area around the firewall control valve to the heater stub-outs. Thanks in advance for any help,

Wayne

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Stolen from another post:

The heater cut off valve has a correct flow direction, The output for the coolant is at the block--not the water pump. The return heater hose coolant line goes to the water pump. Most people think it's the other way. The water pump pushes water into the motor, so the pressure is inside the block. The heater cut off valve should be installed on the output hose and installed in the direction indicating by the flow arrow on the housing of the valve. Get the direction wrong and the flow will not completely stop meaning heat still on in the summer with AC on. Install the hoses on the heater core in the best manner to keep hoses clear of things. You may need a molded 45 degree 5/8 hose on a big block car at the core connection.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for that information. One more question. since my heater stub- outs are side by side, not vertical like the small block motors, should the in flow go to the outside or to the drivers side, or does it even matter?
Wayne

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Badcat, I had that water direction wrong in my head,,,Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a hard copy of an illustration that is labeled "1968 Mustang Selectaire Air Conditioner Installation Drawing - Engine Compartment". It definitely shows the heater control valve in the inlet hose between the intake manifold and the heater core. It also shows a short hose between the valve and the core stub connected to the outer stub. The inner stub, which is buried behind the valve cover, is connected by a single hose to the water pump. My question is since the heater core appears to be lying horizontal inside the heater box does it really matter which side is considered the inlet? On a non-AC car the heater core is in a vertical position which puts the inlet at the bottom (heat rises). Since Ford made a hose with 90 degree bends on each end just for this situation (p/n C7ZZ-18472-CVAC) and WCCC sells a repro, why not use that behind the valve cover? That would reverse the flow through the heater core from what is shown in the illustration but who cares since there is no top or bottom? I have to believe the bent hose would be a helluva lot easier to install behind a big block valve cover than a straight hose.

BTW, here's a link to the illustration:

http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/wiring/1968/V5.jpg

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
we used a formed 90 deg napa hose with one long leg---cut the long leg and installed another 90 bend(alum a/c piece) and used the new heat shrink type clamps to secure the fitting---got every thing aimed in the correct direction---i agree , with horizontal tubes ,it doesn't matter what is in or out
doctordesoto

1 - 6 of 6 Posts