Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this must sound like a very novice thing to ask, but well, i am LOL. I have a leaky heater core in my 69 and i dont know how to get to the damn thing. i even saw one in the Junkyard with the dash removed and i still didnt know what i had to pull of to get to the damn thing. ahhh, i hear that its a pain to do, but i am sick of losing coolant and getting that film on the inside of the windshield.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Hey 69
You are in for some fun!!! A brief discription of the job is to pul your top dash pad off, thern pull the bottom dash out (at minimum you have to pull the passengers side loose and out part way, You'll wish you pulled it out by the time your done) Unhook all the hoses and switches from the box then go under the hood and unhook the heater and ac hoses (if equiped) and you will have about 5 nuts to take off under the hood and a bolt on 2 piece plate around the heater core connections. Now comes the fun, the box will be loose but it won't come out!!!! This is where patients comes in, if your not carefull you will break the drain on the bottom of the box. After you have it out you have to carfully pry the clips off the box to change the core and dissassemble the air door inside. You might as well order a new seal kit for the box, they are about 12 bucks from the vendors. Sounds like fun huh!!!!
John

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
He isnt kidding when he said patiance and carefull. Those fiberglass (I think) heater boxes get very brittle. Most all I have seen have the drain tube broken off. I had to make a new one for mine. If its broken you will have to fix it or it will run water on the pass side floor. Even moreso if its a A/C car.mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm, lods of fun seems ahead. happy happy joy joy lol

·
Registered
406 Posts
Is the job any easier on a 68? Aww the dubious task ahead...
:( - Chad

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I've never owned a 67-68 so I have no idea how it goes on one of them but I would assume that its pretty similar. Oh yeah I had to repair my tube also but it was broken when I got the car. I had to replace the replacement heater core..........lmao
John

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just replaced the core in my '67 about a month ago. Piece of cake:D . I removed the glove box, and took the cover of the heater box(is that even what it's called?) Getting to the clamps was a little tricky. You might need someone to push the hoses through the firewall while you,re putting them on the heater core snouts.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Plot thickens

Guys I feel like a fool. I now have an aroused suspicion that my heater isn't even hooked up! I don't know where all the hoses and stuff go so I need some help. -I'm cold- But if it's not hooked up right it seems to me that I would have fluid spilling out of my car somewhere, so maybe my stuff works it's just not hooked up so what I need to know is where the hoses go. Nothing was hooked up when I got the car so this actually doesn't surprise me. - Chad

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm, you need the vacuum diagram?? i have on here at home, and i took a pic of it. ( no scanner lol ) i am waiting for the film to come back, but my camera has been acting up lately, so ill see how they come out.

·
Registered
364 Posts
NOW you see why...

i never learned auto mechanics. my solution to this problem would be to bite the damned bullet and pay someone else to break their knuckles.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I have replaced the heater core in both of my69s. Fortunately neither had A/C, so it was a fairly straight forward job.
In a nutshell:
Remove the glove box, remove the front of the heater box (held on with spring clips) BE CAREFUL, IT WILL CRACK EASILY - and the misc ducts, cables, etc that you need to to get to the core itself. Disconnect the hoses from the engine and slide them through the firewall so that you can remove the clamps from the core.
Reverse to install.

I solder the pipes from the old core to the new core so that they extend through the firewall. It's not the "purist" way, but this way I don't end up pulling everything because of a bad hose or loose clamp sometime down the road.
All in all it's not a difficult job (as long as you don't have A/C), and you don't need to be a master mechanic with any special tools - it just takes lots of patience.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp: i have AC :1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
:eek2:DOH! :eek2:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what would a job like this just cost me??? i am a young broke 20 year old punk ass kid, so im not able to pay alot. ( yet i was able to buy some 351C closed Chamber 4 bbl heads the other day. well i guess go fast is its own justification ) i know the core itself is like 40, but after labor and all, how much will i be whining abut the next day??

·
Registered
75 Posts
estimate

i got an estimate of 350-400 to do the core in my '68 (with a/c) that included the core, and all the labor.....good luck.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i just got a new heater core the other day. i got it off of ebay for like $30 ( after shipping and all :) ) yet i am still awaitin the perfect day to kill with this job. he he he. well, its been warm here in California the last week ....... who needs a heater?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Day 2 of my heater core replacement and I'm finally about to put the damn thing back together. :)

I'm not going to write a step by step because if I ever need to do this again I might go about it differently. Anyway, I have an AC car and my approach was to remove all the clips and then remove the lower part of my heater box which holds the heater core. (nothing broken - lucky?)

The link I gave earlier was very insightful to say the least but here's some more advice from a novice mechanic.

Besides your basic set of tools you will need the following:
A small skinny regular screw driver about the length of your hand for prying the clips off. You may need to bend it slightly for getting at those hard to reach clips if you take the same approach as I did for removing the lower half of your heater box.

Silicon sealant, for when you put the damn thing back together.
Epoxy, in case you break something. Gawd forbid!
bandaids, my hands are all cut up from getting at those back clips.
A towel in case you have some fluid spillage inside the car.
A flashlight, to see what's going on under there.

On the firewall (engine bay side) you will see a plate (2 pieces actually) that has all the heater core and heater box stuff coming thru. Remove that and the rubber seal prior to anything else. This will make it easier to remove your heater box and you may have access to a clip or two.

IMO, your best bet will be to remove the whole heater box but if you have an AC car consult your local mechanic for the best solution for this procedure.

Get a seal kit because chances are that the old one is toast after all those years in there and especially with the leaky heater core.

Get an exploded view of the heater box so you know where everything is before you start.

Read everything written prior to this post because it's very insightful and reinforces the need to be patient.

Lastly be patient and and be smart. If it's not coming out or it feels like it's still attached somewhere it's probly because it is. Slow and steady wins the race with this project. :)

I honestly don't think you need to pay someone to do this for you if you do your homework. The money you'll save by doing it yourself can be used for other parts, unless you break something.

Good luck and if you get stuck holler on this forum, maybe we'll be able to help.

Now let's see if it goes back in as easily as I anticipate. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts