Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO,

I drained the coolant system. Disconnected the heater hoses. Removed the defrost tubes from the plenum. Disconnected the defrost, heat and temp control cables. Now I'm a little on the stuck side...

Is the heater box attached to the firewall with a couple of nuts? I'm not seeing any. The blower motor got to come out with the heater box as an assembly? The studs and nuts are visible on the firewall for this if it is necessary.

Anything else to disconnect?
Any help would be great....

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
If I remember right, the 67/68 had about 6 nuts to take off from the engine side.Once those are off, it should just pop out. Also have to undo the 3 from the cowl vent too, thosr are a *****, but a long extension and 7/16 socket should do it. Hopefully all the foam is still good and useable or it wont heat very well. Good luck.
Rick

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey Johnny, I just pulled the heater assembly out a few months ago with the help of a repair manual:p: ! And yep, you have to remove the blower motor with the heater box as an assembly. There were 4 nuts holding the blower motor to the firewall. Then there was one screw holding the casing to the cowl . You may have to tug a bit...the heater hoses may not come through the firewall easily but don't tug too much...parts are a little fragile. Have fun!!:D

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
eh??? i was able to remove my heater core by only removing the lower half of the heater box. i had to undo those damn clips under it, a few of the vacuum hoses that were attached to it, but not the whole blower motor and such. the glove box and the support for it came off to, but thats about all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's out now...

Nothing like having a chunk of your cougar in pieces in your garage. I'm half way there. :)

Thanks for all the tips, including the beer suggestion, I believe it helped keep things in perspective.

I did remove the blower with it and that seemed to make alot of sense once it was out. But man what alot of rust and delapitated seals in the heater box. I am going to see about locating some 5/8 hose with white stripe, and what ever seals are available for putting it back tight. This is not something you'd want to do a quick fix and revisit when you get the right parts in.

I have a question:
The blower motor was sealed to the firewall with a gooey sealant that I had to scrape partially off. This make sense to keep the area airtight, but is this factory or some prior owners quick fix on keeping warm? If factory, what is the sealant called and what's the straight dope on its' application...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Glad to see you got the heater box out!! Where was the sealant...on the firewall in the engine compartment or inside in the passenger compartment? My 67 only had hardened sealant around the blower motor and heater hoses in the engine compartment area that seemed to be a POs doing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was in the engine compartment. On and around the blower motor and surrounding the holes for the 2 hoses.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Must be factory...since it is on both our 67s...in the same place. But I didn't pay much attention to it when I pulled the heater box. I would also be interested in knowing what to replace it with!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked up my heater box seals and new heater hose from Cascade Classics today. Man, that was fast! Sure beats mail order. He had all I needed sitting on a shelf, gotta love it. His prices were right in line with or better than any of the big names (nothing against Cougars Unlimited, many of their parts are on my car). It was good to talk to an enthusiast though...something that has been lacking from my past mail order experiances. He informed me that the black goop around the passages is probably 3m undercoat...That makes good sense and looks like what I scraped off...One more trip to the auto store now and I've got my next week end all planned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts