Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright.. i got bored tonight and i decided that i finally would rip into the heater core replacement. i decided this after replacing the radio bezel on the car, and i put my hand down and touched wetness. eewwwwww. i guess that was the funk that i havent been able to discover these last few days. oh well, tomorrow is a day off and so far i pulled most of the clips off of the box and i will drain the coolant tomorrow and get busy. it really isnt seeming as hard as i was made to believe by alot of people that i have talked to. ( not here, just other so called experts out here ) wish me luck

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
GOOD LUCK

Careful when you pull the 2 halves apart. There might be water/coolant in it and puke all over the carpet. Put down plastic bags and then towels to catch the spilt coolant. I changed my Fairlanes before winter, its a one piece unit and was full of coolant, and I had to tilt it to make it come out and it puked all over the floor. I didnt use the bag and towel, wish I did. Just a pre-caution to consider.
I'm buying a new core when I get my Cougar back together, not going to use the old one, it's 2 years new, but has been sitting for 6 years.

Rick

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool cool, yeah, i just pulled the drain tube off and it spilled a lil bit on the carpet, so in go the hefty bags

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im halfway through the job right now ( we have leftover mashed potatoes from last night, so a break was due ) its all apart now, and i did manage to get it out without TOO much trouble. i did crack the heater box though, but i can repair it with some Duraglas. i have to repair a hole on the heater box too, looks like the water ate away at it. ill try to take a lovely pic. all i have to do is reassemble the crap. it should be over in an hour or so. then i can drive it again. oh yeah, and its hot again today. :D :) ;) :p:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its finally in. took me 7 hours. if i was in a shop, my ass would get fired. i still have to install the glove box, the kick panel on the passengers side, and the sill plate. but its in there, isnt leaking, and the heater still works. and best of all -- NO EXTRA PARTS!!!! WOO HOO!!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Gotta love the no extra parts bit. I had some from the Fairlane , still dont know where they go, but it works, that's all that matters.

Good job ;)

Rick

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Good job young man!! I'd rag you a little about cracking the box but I know how brittle they get. It's amazing how Ford dose this stuff. I had a Lincoln town car and I had to remove the inner fenderwell to change the heater core in it. I just put a new one in my F250 last fall and it took about 15 min. mm

·
Registered
162 Posts
left out

i kinda feel left out,haven't had a heater in mine since 1988.......but hey i only drive it 1/8th mile at a time,and only in good weather,lol:cry:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Cougar heater core woes

I'm going the other way with Alpha Cat. I'm doing a 'delete air'. (It has A/C now but I'm converting to non-air.) Of course, that means that not only do I get to delete all of that junk (and weight) hanging on the front of the engine, but the heater box is different (obviously) and even where the hoses go through the firewall is different. When I get it all done, you won't even be able to tell. I got a standard (non-air) heater box and controls from a Mustang that a buddy was parting out. Now, if I can only remember how it goes back together after these 15+ years!

I don't want a/c on my beastie! I'd rather drive with the windows down in the summertime (the only time I will drive my Cats here) and listen to the sweeeeet sound of a healthy, warmed-over Cleveland exhaust note!

MM,
The heater core change in my old 77 and 78 full size Fords was a breeze. Remove two hose clamps. Remove four cover screws on the top of the heater box (in the engine compartment, just below wiper arms). Remove core, replace in reverse order. Five minutes on a bad day. Why oh why can't all cars be that easy?!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Heater delete

Edsel, up here in the North, even our race-only cars have heaters/defrosters. In late fall, we'll get dew and/or frost as we're getting later in the eliminations. You definitely want to see where you're going at 135+mph! I'm not going 135, but my buddies are! We have one big race on Halloween weekend (Norwalk, OH) and we've even see a bit of snow!

Also, we've been down to the IHRA Bracket Nationals back when they were held at Bristol, TN. Of course, now they're held up here at Norwalk since Bill Bader (Norwalk track owner) bought the IHRA and moved the HQ up here! :cwm27: I don't know how you guys race on those short tracks (1/8 mi)! :p: Still, that is pretty late in the season as well.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yeah CJ I hear ya. Like l said it only took about 15 min to do my trucks heater core but I just picked up a snow plow for the truck and finished reworking all the brackets to fit (it came off a GM). I got to thinking a 2nd battery might be a good thing now but there isnt enough room under the hood for it!!! What a bunch of bull, a full size truck with only a 5.8 and not enough room for a 2nd battery without moving a bunch of crap around.:angryfi:. If I do go with a second batt, dose a guy really need a batt isolater or just hook em together? Anyone got a suggestion on this? mm

·
Registered
794 Posts
dose a guy really need a batt isolater or just hook em together?
Mark,
You can hook the batteries together without an isolator, but it is not a good idea. If one battery is starting to go bad it will suck down the energy in the good one, eventually causing it to go bad too.
The isolator has diodes that allow charging of each battery, but do not allow one battery to draw off of the other.

I dont know the year of your truck, but if it was one of the years that had the diesel motor as an option, you should be able to find the factory parts to mirror the dual battery setup.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Thanks, thats the answer I needed to refresh my poor old memory. The truck I traded this one for was a diesel that had a isolater on it but I didnt know if it was stock that way or not, as the previous owner had added alot of stuff too it as it was mostly used for RV pulling.

Honestly I don't think I will persue on going dual batteries as this is not going to be a all out plowing rig, just my own drive, some elderly close family and friends and I know to not shut the truck off right after using the plow alot. If I need to I can always add it later. JC whittney list the isolaters for about $50 so its not a big expense if I go that way.

This plow has worked out great already though as we have not gotten even a inch of snow here this winter. I just decided to get off my ass and get it put on so it won't snow the rest of the winter!!! If tomorrow is as nice as today was I'm getting my Cougar out of the garage and take it for a drive to limber it up and put some fresh gas in it !!!!! :alien: mm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts