Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my heater box all apart and the next step in it's rebuilding is to remove all the rust from the metal parts such as doors and the "squirrel" cage. Question is do I leave them bare as Ford seems to have left them or do I paint them. I'm afraid if I do the latter, the paint odor will remain for a long time. Has anyone done this before? .....opinions??

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Did they have the foam attached?
What I did is take the doors off clean off the foam and completely wire wheel polish the surface rust off and then painted "cast blast" I reinstalled the foam (kit) with Super 77 and replaced the shaft (also wire-wheeled) after I completely greased it with heavy duty grease as to not seize for another 35 years. The Cast Blast doesn't smell I have yet to put it back in but I can't imagine it would smell for more than a day or so freshly painted.
Btw I made a new package tray and covered it with really nice vinyl added a defogger and some 68 speaker grilles anyway I must have used 1/2 gallon of rubber cement to make sure the vinyl attached itself to the 1/4" masonite, it only smelled for a day or so and I am sure you know how bad rubber cement smells.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so let's say I paint them. Another idea would be to use rust paint on the newly blasted bare metal parts. My guess is that would keep me from having to do this all over again. Opinions???

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Carefull with the "squirrel cage".It's balanced. If you throw it off, you will be very unhappy every time you run the fan..

Bruce

·
Registered
588 Posts
I removed as much rust as I could and then sprayed the squirrel cange with Extend, a parts store rust neutralizer and left it at that. It is a light material and didn't throw the balance off. Everything else got a coating of Corroless (Similar to POR-15) and then a coat of black. I've had it this way for about 2 years in Donna's car and no smells or paint chips flying out of the vents either.

·
11,000 Posts
I always prime and paint them before attaching the foam. Never any smell in the cars.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

Paint it is. Although the sandblasting part is messy, I am having a "blast" working on the coug!!:D :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts