Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
New here but a long time 68Cougar owner, Finally getting back to doing some mechanical stuff.
Had the carb off and in putting it back the Choke heat tube from the exhaust manifoil to the Carb gave up on me. It seems to rest in a hole in the exhaust. but my connection has rusted after 46 or so years. Seems like the rusted end is still in the hole.
So, First, Is there some easy way to extract the rusted tube end. I am assuming the hole should the same as the outside diameter of the tube. So the replacement can be inserted easily in to it.
Secondly, is a replacement steel tube needed or can I use a copper tube of the same diameter, like is frequently used on refrigerator water connections, or would that burn thru. ?

Thanks for any thoughts anyone may have, I am hoping to get this thing back to running soon.

John

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Happens to them all. I don't remember the exact size but it's just a press fit. Drill it out to the size of the new tube. Dissimilar metals is never a good idea - it will corrode faster. Just stick with the OE design and you will be good for another 10-20 years

·
Registered
259 Posts
Classic tube makes a new stainless steel tubes and NPD sells them in a kit form with all new pieces to rebuild it. To do it right the exhaust manifold may need to come off. Coach Jack your link is not working, Paul.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts