Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i was wondering if the heat from your engine can cause dents in the hood? cause i've been finding a few more dents than usual on my hood. i'm not sure if its from the heat for some odd reason or if something is hitting my hood and giving it dents :mad: :mad: so yea lemme know cause it is really bugging me to see them and then see new one's, i don't know if i need different or new insulation maybe under my hood

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
excess heat could warp the hood, but i really really doubt that this is teh case here. the paint would get damaged before the metal would. i think someone is hitting your car or an animal is getting to it. dont have any 100lb cats jumping around do ya? he he

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
what you may be experiencing is called oil canning. does the metal when pushed give like the old oil can used to do? am i dating myself? anyways it will thunk then pop back out. this is caused by heat and is a problem which it actually stretched the metal from hot and cold. there are two ways in which you can fix this problem cut out the middle area very small hole tap back into place and work harden the metal then reweld the hole ( i dont recomend this when this next option is much easier if not more expensive. The second is go to our links section and buy the icredible shrinking disc. I have used one and just havent bought one but its high on my list of must haves. this is a great tool to use and i cant recomend it enough. but it does take a little practice so do it on some spare sheetmetal but within a couple of minutes you will get the knack. This will shrink metal without the damage caused by shrinking and the specialty is removing oil canning. and yes you will have to remove the paint and repaint the area. and yes adding a blanket will help deflect the heat even the ones that dont fit all the best from auto krafters.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
If you you have a oil can senario there is 1 more remedy but if your not a body man dont try it. Take a torch and where the oil can is starting to heat the metal up with a torch and go in a circular motion and when its starting to get the discoloration or starts to show a little orangy take it off and take a hammer and dolly and tap it and then take a rag and soak it in cold water and run the rag over the heated surface you just did. That will help shrink the metal by doing this, But like i said if you dont feel comfortable doing this , don`t try it , i have used this remedy quite a few times and the oil canning stopped.
thanks
pat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts