1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
These would probably be better. Why bare vs assembled? You'll need to match your valvesprings/installed height, retainers, keepers, etc to whatever cam you choose anyway. But you'll still need valves, rocker studs, and guideplates. Figure another $200 for valves, etc. Those should be the last heads your SBF should ever need!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is some good information to have.....I'm really starting to re-think the stroker,as much as I want it. I want paint and body too, and the difference will probably cover half the paint and body costs......BUT, then again, it isn't really that much for the stroker kit, other than the goodies to take advantage.......GGGRRRRR!!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL - Remeber when you were a kid in a candy store - you only had X amount to spend and all that candy looked so good - especially the stuff that was > x amount!....

It's funny how things haven't changed huh! Those are pretty nice heads though....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with cougrrcj and buckeye...matching equipment is utmost important and you will need to match 62cc combustion chambers to your pistons also. Getting advice or sugestions from the people building your stroker kit, as well as cam kit ensures you get the mix correct....just my thoughts...

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, this will absolutely give me some planning for while I am on my last deployment. I already have all the parts I need to do the 302 in my 67 XR7. I already have MOST of what I need for the 69. I also already have a T5 waiting to go in the car. I just need to decide what I want, and then do it. I was decided on the stroker kit, but the recent engine problems I am having are making me re think that a bit. On the one hand, I'm only 46, but on the other hand, I really want to star wrapping up the cougars, so I can move on to other things. Plus, it would just be nice to have a turn key car, that has working heat and air, and windows, and wipers, and......

·
Registered
653 Posts
well I bought a complete running 393 for mine.... Then I had to sell the t5 and buy a tko500 blow proof bell etc because it will not last long....then I bought the AJE conversion front suspension to help steering and handling but also to lose the steering box to make room for proper size headers. I say all this so you understand that it gets out of hand quickly. Now is it worth it... I'll let you know come spring since I am finally able to to start assemble lol

·
5,470 Posts
Yeah Woodsnake, these projects tend to take on a life of their own... One thing leads to another... I still gotta get my 393 the way I want it. If money were no object, then I'd be going in an entirely different direction, but trying to work it all into a limited budget is what makes it kinda fun! My 393 has gone through an evolution in the six years I've had it.

Heads went from hand-ported E7TEs, to TFS highports, to my current ported Windsor Seniors. The TFSs never even made it onto the engine due to re-thinking the header fitment issues due to the raised exhaust ports...

Rockers went from OEM Ford Cobra/Crane 1.7 pedestal fit rollers for the E7s, to Harland Sharp full roller 1.7s for the Windsor Seniors...

My intake manifolds changed from a Edelbrock Performer EGR, to a Summit 'Stage 2' (Performer RPM clone), to a Eddy Torker...

My camshaft went from the Comp Cams X4262H hydraulic flat tappet to the current XR276RF-HR retrofit hydraulic roller...

The headers went from ill-fitting BBK 5.0 shorties to the better-fitting BBK '351W swap' shorties. What's the difference, you ask? The 351-swap headers fit closer to the block so they fit the chassis better.

Exhaust went from a modified (and ill-fitting) 2-1/4" catted Fox Mustang H-pipe to the 2-1/2" off road H-pipe...

Converter has gone from a no-name 2100 stall to a ACC 2600 stall, to a TCI 3200 stall (waiting to be put in over this Winter)...

Carbs? Wow... From a '85 Mustang 5.0 OEM Holley (never made it on the car), to a 670 Street Avenger, to a 750 double-pumper for one weekend, to a (borrowed) OEM Chevy 780 vacuum secondary Holley, to a 750 vac sec Holley, to a 770 Street Avenger...

Wow, that's a lot of changing!

Engine gets pulled over the Winter for a inspection and recondition as necessary, and that new torque converter goes in along with the new Silverfox SPT-R valvebody for the AOD...

Other plans are to replace the heavy dual power split bench seat with some lightweight buckets... Oh, and a paintjob and replacement of the vinyl top...

See? It never ends!!!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
It's like making a good chile - you gotta play with the ingredients to find out what you really like....AND the wallet will allow

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I don't have a bottomless pocket, even after a trip like this one. I keep finding my self going back to the smaller build, just so I can get paint! I WANT PAINT AND INTERIOR!!! But again, it isn't that much more to go for what I want....Meh...I'll be thinking this over for the next 6 months.

·
5,470 Posts
Keep checking around for used heads. Those Mustang guys are always getting rid of good stuff. My ported Windsor Seniors (that flow like Victors) were only $400. Likewise the TFS high-ports I have sitting on the shelf were $400... OK, so the high ports needed three valves. Big deal... There are deals out there if you're patient!

·
5,470 Posts
Screw Cleveland heads -- even 4V Clevelands. Most aftermarket Windsor heads will out-flow those! Mine do!!! Don't be surprised if AlphaCat comes out of hibernation with a roller-cammed 408W instead of it's original Q-code 351C-4V!!!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
5,470 Posts
OK, OK, maybe aftermarket Cleveland heads... But I haven't found any of those for $400/pr yet, LOL!!!

BTW, my ported Windsor Seniors flow 200/150 @ .300, and 302/197 @ .600 and still only cost me $400! Pbbbbbt!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You people aren't helping any!!!:flamer::beer:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL I always wondered how to spell pbbbbbbt! My screen gets wet when I try to pronounce it......

I'm all about saving your hard earned $ - you will have plenty of time to search and scrounge. No doubt plenty of mustang parts turn up on a daily basis. I'll keep my eyes open locally and PM you if something pops up.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Unless you are like me and tend to hang with guys that have 600-1000 hp then a hot 306 is more than enough to make you smile. If it were not for the fact I don't want to be the slowest car (still might be :( ) I would have went stock 351 with a cam swap and windsor seniors with a world class t5. That is more than enough to make you giggle and the whole setup can be bought for under a G

1 - 20 of 30 Posts