Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the rear window has to come out to replace the headliner on a 68? I am thinking of just doing it myself since mine is all rippled towards the rear. Any hints if I undertake this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've done some headliners,...and i've seen headliners installed without removing the glass,....they stuffed it in with a putty knife!!...then after a couple of hot then cold days,.....the liner tightens and pulls out! :(
I always take the glass out!
buy good gaskets,....good glue,...lots of patients!
laying the headliner in the sun for the day,...get the wrinkles out...makes it more plyable,...also heat gun works,...i've even used a houshold iron on the backside to soften it up just prior to installing,....make sure you clean the surfaces of old glue to help with adhesion,...take your time....the area around the sail panels is tricky....Good Luck!!!

·
11,000 Posts
Take both the windshield and back glass out if you want it to last past the first sunny day. It's an easy job and very rewarding after that. I recommend the black headliner, it's hard to keep white ones clean while installing the windshield and rear glass because of the butyl rubber sealant that is in the groove and so on the string as you pull it past the headliner.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I need to put the headliner in before I put in the interior in Kitty from the donar car. My windsheild has a crack on the bottom (can't feel it from the outside) and I'm afraid to take it out to put the headliner in. Will have a professional do it but, I heard they want the glass already out. How the Hell do drive the car to the interior shop with no windsheild or back window in it?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I was thinking I want to put a black one in to match the rest of the interior, unless I could dye mine in the car. That seems tough and messy, though if the dye would stick I'd be willing to try it then I could just straigten out the back as thats the only thing wrong with mine other than the color.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I would remove both like Royce said.
My cougar needs new windshield seals anyway.
I am not going to take any short-cuts on this area. My dash is ready to back in but i will wait till the windshield is out for the headliner to put it back in. gonna need a new windshield too.
I have 2 good rear winshields and 2 shagged front windshields. Im sure glad the mustang windshields are the same.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Are 67 cougar windshields the same as mustangs of the same year? I am gonna be installing a new headliner soon, as well, and have been debating the windshield replacements.
bmaker.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So anyone ever dyed anything upside down? Just curious. Figure it could do temporaily until I can do the headliner right. Otherwise looks like another weekend in the carport since I can't really afford the 350 or so bucks to have it all done. Could do it for 250 if I take out the windshield and back glass myself, but then I'd have to pay towing since I couldn't drive it to the shop, so I really wouldn't save anything.

·
Registered
669 Posts
If it makes you feel any better guys, I'm in the same boat. My headliner was fine except for a small part of a seam coming apart. Then on a high speed run the small part that was unstitched caught the wind and now I have a two foot section which is unsewn (not torn, just unstitched). To top it off my headliner is tan. I want to replace my vinyl top, but once that's off, I have to repair the wonderful rust that's under the vinyl top and around the backglass. You can't see it now but trust me it's under there. You can figure where this is going..complete body restoration by the time I'm done. Since I have other cars to restore in the mean time, I've resorted to taping it back to the bow with clear tape...God is that tacky!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts