Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Ken's Cougars catalog (page 5) it says that you should remove the back window to properly put in a new headliner. Has anyone done this?...How do you get the window out?...I would like to do it myself or should I have a professional do it?:confused:

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Kitty,
I would recommend having a pro do it. I believe you have to remove both the front and back window. It should run about $200 and maybe you should put new weatherstrip in for the front and back while the window is out. I'm having my 67 done and they need to pull both.

Steve:cry:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Headliner

HOLY SH--!!! I didn't think of the FRONT window too but, that makes sense!:eek2:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
No, No, No the windshield dose not have to come out!!!! The rear window dosent either in most cases. The rear depends on the condition of the rear window weatherstrip.

Cougar Kitty, I just done a 73 Mustang last week and its the same as your Cat, and you may be able to do it your self but belive me its a real pain in the A**. The head liner has to be tucked in the rear weatherstrip all the way down the sides where my 69 has the sail panels so the head liner only gets tucked mostly on top.

If you never done one I would suggest having someone who knows how to do it , do it for you unless you have the seats and carpet out of your car as if your like me you will have glue over every thing.mm

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PROFESSIONAL

YEAH, I don't want to do myself anymore! Sounds like a mess! My wheather stripping is shot too.:cry:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Eh? It's NOT a hard job. The headliners come with GOOD instructions. I installed mine in a couple hours and it looks perfect, and I'm certainly not "Joe Interior"...

The front window does not and should not come out for headliner installation. If you can slip a credit card inbetween the roof and the rear window gasket, then the rear window doesn't need to come out either.

The only thing you need is headliner glue (must be headliner glue, the vendor will sell you some), and a good hair dryer.

This is one project that any joe or jane can do in an afternoon easy. Once you get the job started, you'll just zip right along and be done in no time.

I promise.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Logan

I like that you said "Jane" too or "JUDY" for that matter! I need to install new dome light assemblies, also. It will look fantastic when done. I've been driving this car around for 8 years with the headliner ripped out. YUK!:puke:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I had no big problems doing mine, I used glue around the sides and put insulation on the roof before installing it. I agree the windshield doesn't have to come out and the rear window probably wouldn't either but I had mine out and that probably made it easier. If you do install it yourself mark the bows to make sure you reinstall them in the right place and don't sweat the little wrinkles they will come out in no time. I used a hair dryer and still didn't get them out but they dissappeared. I also upgraded my seat belts while I was at it.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
600 Posts
does a tear warrent a replacement?

Ok i have a tear in my headliner thats about as waide as this following line ---------------------------- at it's widest point and it is in a v shape do i have to replace the whole damn thing?...just surious and if not is there a good repair kit i can get to save it cause the rest is perfect and i would hate to replace the whole thing.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Headliner color

I noticed that Auto Krafters only has headliners for 72s in black, white or maroon only. What's up with that?------Do you dye the headliner too?-----Oh......Quess I'll have to go with Ken's Cougars. They have black, white, dark red, GINGER, medium green, TAN, dark green, vermillion (what the heck color is that?) and dark blue for the 71-73. Might as well get new padded sunvisors too!!!!!!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I did mine also

It goes really smooth like they said do mark the ribs mine were colored but I marked them any way and placed them on the hood in order back to front.Mark you were right ,INSTALL it BACK TO FRONT also I set and glued the back in ,put the ribs in ,Itacked some glue on th front center then pulled at the middle to set it the working from the middle out on each side glueing the front.Dont do tefront corners till last.Once he front is set start at the back sides and pull the slack out.Then work the corners.Make sure you have enough material to tuck. Also put all your trim screws in before you instal the new one take a sharp xacto knife to get them back to pt the trim on.The sunvisors and seat bet hangers will take some slack out but dont deped on it.Johns head liner gave me plenty material to work with. Dan

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Logan and John a 71-73 is harder than our 69-70's. The interior has no sail panels like ours do and the headliner must be tucked all the way down the sides and even under the bottom corners of the rear window. Bad places for keeping wrinkles to a minumum with very little room to work the sides.

Also they do not use the push on windlance that you can push on as you go, they have metal trim that cant be put on till you get all the way to the front.mm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts