Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my factory headliner has gone to pot, and I'm changing it to black anyways. Has anyone ever done a custom headliner? Sort of like a modern car? Is it hard to do? Should I just stick to putting in a new factory style headliner? Ideas are welcome!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Most upholstery shops can do anything you want, at least mine can.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If you buy one and install it yourself, take your time, I found that stock replacements are not that hard to install (taking your time) and the use of 2" binder clips helped out a lot in the installation, so that you can remove them and readjust where needed. I also used spray adhesive to secure it when I was happy with the install. I know that there are several other members that have posts in the past on this job for reference. Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
As Carlton says, you should be able to use whatever type of material you want and any competent upholstery shop can put the loops for the bows in.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Some of these posts you kinda have to read between the lines, I thought occugarboy was talking about the new style where the headliner was glued to the cardboard underlayment and then installed like the street rods. On my 67 I had cloth made for my headliner, and used the bows, it looks more plush.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just finished my template for my headliner I am going with fiberglass. I had to build a wood frame first so that I have something to install the speakers and the light rails into. I got the idea watching that pimp my ride episode where they did that guys Cougar. It will be done soon I hope. I have it up on the rotisserie, Which I will probably be selling once I am done with it.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Some of these posts you kinda have to read between the lines, I thought occugarboy was talking about the new style where the headliner was glued to the cardboard underlayment and then installed like the street rods. On my 67 I had cloth made for my headliner, and used the bows, it looks more plush.
I immediately thought of what you did rather than the cloth-on-board type headliner (although yes, that is what most new cars have now a days).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, I was thinking of the cloth on board type of ceiling. Does it come out looking good? Or do you guys all think the factory style is the way to go?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Actually, I was thinking of the cloth on board type of ceiling. Does it come out looking good? Or do you guys all think the factory style is the way to go?
I don't think we have identifed anyone who has done the cloth on board type of headliner.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I can't foresee your being able to improve any on the factory headliner unless you're doing a "modern" custom job to your entire car. The "modern" style headliners are ugly when compared to the original 67/68 style headliners. I'm sure they changed the way they make headliners now to save money on production. IMO
So, my factory headliner has gone to pot, and I'm changing it to black anyways. Has anyone ever done a custom headliner? Sort of like a modern car? Is it hard to do? Should I just stick to putting in a new factory style headliner? Ideas are welcome!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think part of the reason I'm considering it is cause the headliner is such a pain in the ass, cause of the windshields.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Yes, I agree. I thought about doing that with mine, but I already had the glass out and the headliner itself was pretty cheap considering the materials and labor it would have cost to make one from glass. How are you going to get the shape? I couldn't quite get my head around how that could be done without the car on its roof.

·
Registered
632 Posts

I've used Acme Headliner in SoCal a few times on modified cars. Found a shop that had one of their catalogs (samples of material) then after choosing the material that would match with what I was doing (in the last case a med grey interior) I simply called them and had them make (in that case) a 66 fastback Mustang in a Cadillac material

Did the same for the carpet - called the supplier and had them put Gray Corvette carpet in the Mustang press form

Additional cost was minimum when I had it done above the normal cost

1 - 13 of 13 Posts