Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could it be.....Just after I fix my dash lights,,,,,My headlights turn on and then after a few seconds they shut off////could my switch be bad or what ????? It is almost like something over heats.. The manual says the switch is protected by a circuit breaker but I open the switch and everything looks fine...Lance

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just read some where that the circut braker in the switch resets its self after a trip. Im just getting my first couger in about 20 min but as far as elect. goes I would trace the entier lighting system and look for a ground I would probly start with the lighting relay if there is one.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
need a little help one more time gee I feel incompetent sometimes kinda wish I would have stayed in mechanics after high school HAHA

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Are you running halogen headlights? They can make the CB trip.
Yes, the CB does reset itself once it cools.
I believe it is an in line Circuit Breaker, not built into the switch.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The circuit breaker is integral to the switch. If it turns out to be the problem, the headlight switch has to be replaced. And Halogens will overload the stock circuit. For the time that the lights are on, do they seem seem dim or bright? If dim, there may be a short somewhere else that is draining power, which overloads the headlight beam. If you have halogen lights, check the threads from a couple weeks back, I posted the diagram to modify the wiring to handle halogens.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Bruce said:
The circuit breaker is integral to the switch.
That's good to know. Thanks Bruce. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it turns out it was the Circuit breaker in the switch, I cleaned it out and not knowingly move them around so as they would trip under a small load,,,so i took apart the switch bent them a little into place and presto I have headlights...Thanks guys for all the help.....now I have headlights and dash lights .....Lance

1 - 7 of 7 Posts