Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres a new one on me. The car starts fine,idles good,at idle you can turn on lights, they flip up engine runs fine. But put the car in gear with the lights on and the engine just dies? Any suggestions? 68-351W c-4 auto,petronix ignition

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Will the engine die if you try to keep the revs up? Maybe your idle speed is too low or your alternator maybe defective....I'm just guessing here...maybe our wrench experts will have an opinion.:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum leak.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I'll second the idea of a major vacuum leak. The leak may not be just in your headlight vacuum system though. I've seen a loose PCV grommet kill an engine once. Also, the biggest vacuum draw other than the PCV system is the power brakes. I'm sure that when you are putting your car into gear you're holding the brakes first, eh? Either a bad vacuum hose, bad check valve, cracked vacuum Tee on the firewall or maybe the booster took a dump. In all reality, this problem of yours should be relatively easy to track down. Keep us apprised!

·
Registered
16 Posts
headlights

do the lights stay on when the engine dies, do the high beams work? I had a problem where the lights died out when I switched the highs on....turned out to be a small area in one of the wires causing a short (when it felt like it!) because of poor wires. R & R wires - no problems since.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Catz its pussable that an alt not charging will cause the car to stall when battery is low and headlites are on. Volt meter 14.2-5 at 1500 rpm is what ya need to see. Catzyalater

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

Well, the headlights do stay on when the engine dies. If it wa a vacume leek though wouldnt it show itself under normal situations too, or is it just becouse of the extra vacume draw of the headlights?What is the best way to track this down? I forgot to mention that any time I step on the brakes in park or neutral the Idle drops about 75 rpm

·
Registered
34 Posts
Remember Me ? you got your engine from me! I say check vacume leaks. Start with the brake booster since you told me you were having those brake problems Thats my guess

1 - 8 of 8 Posts